Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Buffdmac/ Matt is on board Real Good Day.. >

Buffdmac/ Matt is on board Real Good Day..

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Buffdmac/ Matt is on board Real Good Day..

Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Buffdmac/ Matt is on board Real Good Day..

We lost 3 that nearly broke our wrist..Matt lost 2 monsters...one my fault..I let the net get tangled up..fish was by the boat for a good 5 seconds...net was tangled up in one of the rods..Then I was bit hard on a jig..the hawg nearly broke my wrist..pulling the jon almost over..Then Matt lost another monster in the grass..real Good Day..Thanks Be TO God.

But heres some that never got away..

Last edited by Chuck7; 03-11-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

The story..

We went to a carry on jon boat lake only..another reason I like jon boats..I'd been here 3 other times and caught no bass...plenty of catfish but no bass..A friend of my son told him that they were hitting her off the shore in about 6-8 foot of water..
So we went out from the shoreline...and threw worms to the shore..and worked them back to the boat...After about 45 minutes I felt a pick up...ready ..set 2 1/2 pounder in the boat..as we wroked some more I saw a boil on the shoreline..ah ha...spawner..I cast and missed the mark..Matt cast and hit the mark.BAM!!! nice 4 pounder..the I remembered a smaller pit connected to this tiny lake..The WIND was terrible...we went to the end of the pit and had the wind blow us as we quickly tried to get off cast..then I hear "Dad!" "Net"..I looked and saw one huge ugly bass...eyes bulging out..a good 7-8 pounder..at least..the fish was 6 inches beside the boat..the net was wrapped up in one of the spare rods..In frustration I hear."DARN!! where was the net? She's gone."

I then decided to change my tactic..I went to a green /brown 3/16th ounce jigs..Matt smirks as he has no faith in the silly looking lure..Dang...missed one..Matt cast into the slop..with his 7 inch worm..low and behold...a 5 pounder comes to the top and inhales his Christmas Tree Worm..he works it to the boat..nice fish...Meanwhile I'm dropping the jig in every little dark hole possilble..in THICK grass...ting.ting..BAM!! Whoa..nice fish...I'm hung up on a 6 pounder.in thick grass..netted her in..

Pit is done..I say...let's flip her again..I go where Matt had lost his..sling my jig in there...oh crap...ting ting...ripppppp..Could not fully set her..She was too heavy...She is now pulling the front of the boat over and touching the lake..slack,,,,she is unbottoned..

20 yds up farther..Matt had decided to put a much heavier bullet sinker on to penetrate the grass...WAMM! a nother big Hawg...and unbottoned..on the way back I see a tiny black pool way beyond the grass...for the fun of it..I make a long cast...rippp...unbottoned...

WE will be back tomorrow God willing.

Chuck7

Last edited by Chuck7; 03-05-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Spike

Great pics and story! Good luck tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome day! So jealous! So you were jigging? When flipping what is your ideal set up that you like? Line, hook, bait, everything.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to both of you,

Maybe that big 10 plus pounder will get caught this year for you.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the replies...set up is very simple..

One medium heavy rod...mine was 6 1/2 foot..I was not expecting to flip today..I was only going to cast..Tomorrow..i'll bring a 7 foot MH rod { my flippping stick with 40 pound test braid} and one 7 footer with a Horny Toad..40 pound braid..
I had on 20 today...Spinning or baitcasting would work I was using a Garcia Revo 100.00 Walmart reel..on a 7.00 garage sale rod...{ A 79.00 Finwick Triggerstick} very nice for the money..

I was using a Walmart Betsy Jig...1.79 I like the brown and green color..3/16 ounce. I bought some trailors a while ago on ebay..I will take a picture of the one I use..and post it later today..

Go around the edge of a lake of pond..where the water is anywhere form 12" to 4 foot deep,.using you runderhand swing motion..flip your jig in on top of the grass..the slender lure should simply go straight through the mat..and on unexpected fish..

A jig hit is not like a rubber worm ..I let them run with my worm..not so with a jig..Any kind of pick up you need to set the hook...

That simple..

Last edited by Chuck7; 03-05-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

A jig hit is not like a rubber worm ..I let them run with my worm..not so with a jig..Any kind of pick up you need to set the hook...
I like using crawfish jigs when jigging and they sure do hit differently. The problem I have had is the jig heads they sell up here keeps straightening out on me. I will try and get some decent jig head hooks and make my own if I can find some. I have a mold to make them with. I am think of making a few with those red and white feathers like on a streamer as well. I think the action of them will help draw in a few..
Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

That 6 pounder bent the hook as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have some of that. Might need to buy something as a trailer. I see the jig is weedless, but do you have problems getting hung up a lot? My experience with the "weedless" jigs is that they aren't that weedless
Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Some of them are more weedless than the others..I did get hung up a few times yesterday ....maybe once out of 20 cast. ....not bad..

It depends on what the weed guard is made of..The Little Betsy does not have much of a weedguard...some of the jigs I use never get hung up..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.