Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Whats your favorite Rod and real combo you have? >

Whats your favorite Rod and real combo you have?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Whats your favorite Rod and real combo you have?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I think baitcasters are very necessary. The ratio is much greater than that of spinning reels. I could live without them for Bass fishing, but when your fighting a fresh Salmon in the river, you need the power. BUCKHUNTER14

I've never caught a salmon or seen one in real life..I've been honestly fishing alot for the last 50 years..I've used many different types of rods..My #1 would be a Spinning rod...I also like that spinning outfit that you have Buckhunter for bluegills...the long rod with the spinning reel in the butt...I'm looking for one like that..

Fly rods to me are special...that is like archery hunting..it's more primitive and gets you closer to the fish..For me ..fly rod is like fasting is to a Christian...a step up closer to nature.

But for the hurry up ...cover water get her done trip...Give me a decent ball bearinged spinning reel { -;
Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a reel for every purpose, and if you fish long enough, you find those purposes. Spinning reels definately have their advantage for certain presentations such as flipping or casting light tackle. However, I CANT STAND line twist and the whole spinning comboe feels like crap in my hands. The only thing worse for me than a birds nest in a baitcaster is a birds nest in a spinning reel, and I seem to get far more of them in spinning reels. Not only that, I just cant seem to get comfortable turning the reel handle of the spinning reel while maneuvering the rod with the other. It just seems like one hand is trying to do something completely different than the other hand, but when I am using a bait caster, everything synchs up. Getting a nice reel has really halped with the light tackle casting and learning to free-spool flip and pitch has helped with the birdsnesting.

I guess I just need more time with a spinning combo because it is so uncomfortable for me to use.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL I cast with my right hand..and before you cna say "Jack Sprat could eat no fat" I've already got the rod in my left hand and cranking with my right..been doing it ....for decades...all my boys fish the same way..It happens so fast you probably wouldn't even see it.

I generally make th eswitch before the lure even touches the water..it's automatic

When I worm fish I put on the Power Pro spool..never had an issue..still comes out straight
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
LOL The fly rod is the best rod every made for Salmon IMO.. I have caught a few of them I must say. When fishing for Salmon in the rivers you would be hard pressed to beat a fly rod on them. I enjoy catching Atlantics on one and having them run off a lot of line and then come flying out of the water. Landlocks are nice to catch on them as well but the Atlantics are much bigger normally..
a heavy spinning rod is good for salmon too
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
a heavy spinning rod is good for salmon too
No doubt about it. I just preffer catching them on a fly rod and playing them out before landing them. Here the Atlantics has been closed to fishing and you must release them at once. They need to be kept in the water at all times even when releasing them. Also the only legal means before it was shut down was with a fly rod only. They did have open a catch and release program in the Penobscot for a little while but the feds stepped back in and closed it again. The Atlantics are currently listed as endangered so the rules on one when caught is very strict now. The Landlocks are fun to catch but nothing like the Atlantics..
Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I may have to add that to my fishing tackle this year...a fly rod..{ -;
I'll be asking questions later..in a new thread.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

i love my st croix legend tournament series rods with the new phlueger patriarch spinning reels great feel and balance