Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Fall Semester is Over >

Fall Semester is Over

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fall Semester is Over

Old 12-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fall Semester is Over

Now that the fall semster is over, I am free to fish more, which doesnt mean much considering how slow the fishing has been. However, 1 fish an hour is better than none, and I have some new Hippy Jigs to try out.

I am going to attempt to fish for atleast 4-5 hours in one day within the coming 3-4 weeks. I will most likely start around day break and go until noon. I have never really fished for more than an hour or two, so a longer fishing time means that I will most likely have to deal with changing fishing patterns as the day progresses. I havent ever really had to deal with this, so what are some of the patterns that I might have to deal with? Are there any generally consistant patterns that the fish do between morning and lunch time hours during the winter?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Just skimmed this month's BASS magazine..I get it free...

Same old story I've always been taught..

A. Bass love slender baits because they are easier to digest ..motabulism slows way down in the cold ..they may be right as most of my Rooster Tail lunkers have been in the winter time....I cast long...let it fall to the bottom..and real in as slow as possible still keeping willow blade turning..lost count on 5 pound plus caught on this technique.

B....Also..SLOW PRESENTATION on any lure you throw.

C. In the cold months ..fish {According to the pros} bite best from afternoon till evening as water warms up.

d.Repeated cast to the same areas you suspect bass...drop shot is good for this { According to the pros}

e.Down size jig sizes in the winter times..smaller is better.

I read all this but knew most of it anyways...also if fish can't be found on the bottom..probably suspended...rattle trap or deep diving crankbaits.

Here's an old headless pic I pulled up..when I first moved here I only fished 2 lures..Rooster Tail and Rubber WOrm..this 5 pound and 6 pound were caught in the cold months off a rooster tail..I lost a 3rd one..very big at the boat..broke the line.this was in the 1980s while in college..could still wear my field jacket LOL
More winter Rooster Tail fish..

another reason to throw the Rooster Tail around Florida...Sunshine bass love it..and they are serious fighters and taste awesome..all these were on Rooster Tail as well.

Big Tilapia like Rooster Tails too..{ -;

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-18-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Dang!!! I might go fishing tomorrow..getting the bug..
Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, thats a HUGE tilapia! I swear that looks just like your son Matt in that third photograph, haha.

I just got back from disney and I am ready to fish again. Pulled in that nice one on a mop jig just a day or so before heading out of town and I am ready to try and pick up wear I left off.

I have also read a lot of articles discussing theory of going small in the winter time, and i generally agree with a lot of what is said. However, there are also some very good anglers that I make sure to take note of when they discuss their tactics, and quite a few of them say to go big and slow in the winter time for big bass. Their photos are the "proof in the pudding" for me, and so this year I have dedicated my winter time to big jigs and big worms worked slowly and meticulously over spots where I know there are usually fish, just like mentioned in your post. I dont believe that I will catch many big fish, but I am willing to try this method for a while in hopes of catching a large winter time bass. I am sure there wont be many large bass, but the ones I catch should be larger than average for winter catches. If I can't seem to get anything large with the "big and slow" approach, then I will prolly eventually wear down and start downsizing the presentation because like you mentioned in your post above, smaller and slower presentations in winter work, thats a fact.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Dang Aaron..I sure would have liked to have meant ya..you were only 40 minutes from me...BUT family comes first..we've been down this road before.

I believe the tilapia was a state record..I ate it..] -;
Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, i kept thinking to myself, "All i need is a couple hours and it would be fishing timee with Chuck", haha. Even mentioned it to my wife that a friend of mine lived down there and would be more than happy to get me out of her hair for a while . She wasnt too keen on it, lol. If the oppurtunity ever arises again though, I will make it happen on my end. Until then....
Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Dominant Buck

you have my email..the invite is forever

have fun guys..been spending too much time on the computer...