Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Catching catfish with stink bait >

Catching catfish with stink bait

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catching catfish with stink bait

Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default Catching catfish with stink bait

I never used stink bait before until a few weeks ago. Man do I love it. Their is a pond about 10 minutes from my house. My girlfriend and I have been going right before dark. Man have we been killing em. They have all been big too. I now swear by stink bait. Any stories?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have caught a few on it, but it nevers sticks to the hook like i would like. i like live bluegill, hot dogs, shrimp, livers, and hearts.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by childers
i have caught a few on it, but it nevers sticks to the hook like i would like. i like live bluegill, hot dogs, shrimp, livers, and hearts.
Are you using a #4 treble hook? If you use a regular hook its almost guaranteed to fly off. I have had tremendous success on stink bait and I will swear by it forever
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used it ALOT!! and I love it me and dad have put it on trot line's and rod & reel's and it works good, my biggest cat was caught with stink bait liver and cheese flavor, he was 12.5 pound's on rod and reel, me and dad have caught some monster flat head's on trot lines usen it,we caught one around 23 pound's it was huge! But yea I love usen stink bait, hot dog's smuthered in any kinda blood work's good to, me and dad had a dead deer so we got a pack of hot dog's threw em' in a zip lock back filled it with deer blood went fishen that night and caught aton of flathead's I caught 7 I think he caught like 9 in 3 hour's it was the busiest time I've had reeling while cat fishing I'm used to sitten still for half hour with no bite's but not than
Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have used them on a treble hook. it was alright then. i think its just a matter of where you fish.

-- a good trick is to put your bait in a small piece of panty hose so it can bleed and maintain some sort of a form.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

hotdogs soaked in red koolaid works well. Chicken livers are fantastic, let them sit in the sun for a little bit before using them. Berkley has catfish powerbait that surprisingly works pretty good as well. Its hard to go worng when fishing for catfish. Sunfish usually get larger catfish for me, but takes longer to get bit.