Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
First time smallmouth fishing >

First time smallmouth fishing

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

First time smallmouth fishing

Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 PM
8mm
Typical Buck

Default First time smallmouth fishing

hey guys went smallmouth fihing the on 4-15-10 an man did i have fun was fishing with dead shiners in the Ohio river 1st one i caught was 4lbs then with the next cast i caught a 5lbs had never fished for them ever i am still in shock lol
Attached Thumbnails First time smallmouth fishing-smally2.jpg   First time smallmouth fishing-smally1.jpg   First time smallmouth fishing-smally.jpg  
Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice fish , 8MM...

Those smallmouths are awesome fighters, and are my favorite game fish... I've always said that if you tied a 3 pound smallmouth and a 5 pound largemouth tail to tail, the smallie would drag the largemouth around backwards until it's scales fell off.......
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

them smallies are fun there all over here in ny rather catch them than largemouth
Old 04-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice catches..I never caught to many of those ..maybe 20 total while up north..and not only are they great fighters but taste real good too..
Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wholeheartedly agree, Chuck...

I'm fortunate to live in an area with a wealth of good smallmouth fishing...Western NY's Finger lakes, The Great Lakes and all of the major river systems have plenty of smallies, including the river that runs through my little town.. I release many more than I keep, especially the big breeders, but I eat my share of 12-14 inchers, and in my opinion, they are delicious... The only fish that taste better to my palate are panfish, such as yellow perch and my favorite, bluegills...
Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Lat time I was at the finger lakes I left my tackle box on the shoreline..loaded with my best lures..My wife said the lake was called Cayuga Lake

I used to eat those 12- 14 inchers..really tasty..
Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck..Probably some lucky feller has been catching fish with your favorite lures for years.....

Cayuga is far enough from my home that I don't fish it a LOT, but I have fished it a number of times..It's the biggest of the Finger Lakes ( appx 40 miles long) and has a wonderful diversity of species..The relatively shallow north end has a wonderful warm water fishery, with big largemouths and northern pike, as well as lots of panfish like bluegills, pumpkinseeds, perch and crappies, plus bullheads and channel cats...The southern 2/3 of the lake is a great coldwater fishery, with big lake trout ( some 10 to 20 pounds) rainbows, browns and a solid population of landlocked salmon, as well as smallmouths, perch , smelt, and other species..

The lakes closest to my home are Keuka and Seneca, so these are the waters I fish most often...
Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM
8mm
Typical Buck

thx i turned then back so now i just have to find someone that can do a good replica mount of them an find the angles i wont them but i really dont know where to look for fourms or a taxi
Old 04-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

We were visiting my wife's home in Port Byron. I had my addess in the tackle box and aman did agree to meet me for 30.00 I beleive to get my box back..he didn't show..I even had a Klien adjustable wrench in there..LOL
Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pygmy
I wholeheartedly agree, Chuck...

I'm fortunate to live in an area with a wealth of good smallmouth fishing...Western NY's Finger lakes, The Great Lakes and all of the major river systems have plenty of smallies, including the river that runs through my little town.. I release many more than I keep, especially the big breeders, but I eat my share of 12-14 inchers, and in my opinion, they are delicious... The only fish that taste better to my palate are panfish, such as yellow perch and my favorite, bluegills...
hey pygmy have you ever fished oneida lake its right down the road from me and boy is it loaded with smallmouths great smallmouth and largemouth fishing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.