Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
WHat makes your great fishing spots great? >

WHat makes your great fishing spots great?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

WHat makes your great fishing spots great?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default WHat makes your great fishing spots great?

Many of us have favorite waters to fish, and within those waters, special areas or even "holes". Why is it that you believe that special place holds great fish, or in other words, what makes that special hole a honey hole for you?

Mine:
Of the 3 to 4 holes I mainly fished, there are two tiny areas on different waters that really seem to produce for me. On water A, a natrual small pond, the pond is infested with hydrilla and milweed. There is a laydown that goes 2/3rds to 3/4's the distance across one of the thinner areas and one area along that lay down produces great. The area is a bald patch that hugs up against the lay down. So I basically have this weed infested pond with no bald spots, other than the bald spot that is right next to the lay down. This area always produces for me, and will generally pull a decent fish out of it (2-3 lbs is decent for me). I think the combination of the small opening within close proximity to the lay down offers the right amount of nearby cover, and open visibility, for the fish to feel comfortable eating close to where they relax.

On water B, the depth is primarily uniform at 6-8 feet, but there is a ditch that goes perpendicular from one bank to the other, with a sunken tree that lays right across it, and lilly pads that surround it close to the bank. I think the depth change, along with the cover of the fallen tree and lilly pads, attracts the bass year round. I have hung more lures in that tree than i care to comment on, but the fish I pull out of it are usually of good quality.

What do you think makes your favorite spots great, and why?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Great Post Aaron

Saddle Creek is first..I fish the east side..and why it's got hope for a lunker this year..The levels have been too low for reg. bass boats for the last 5 years..which has given me ample time to scout the entire place out by myself....My primary honey hole is like a canyon between two long slopes of hydrilla weeds..the deepest spot is 13 foot climbing up a slope that reaches about 3 feet on both sides. My other places are flats of limestone boulders overcome by hyrilla ..Fact the entire place is perfect for Horny Toads..jigs ,spinnerbaits and crankbaits.

Tenoroc...My favorite pit is for trolling motors only..catch and release only and is a management area only..I know where the 3 main sand/rock bars are..and it always produces...not alot of structure here but very deep..3 - 35 feet..I will probably buy another depth finder to explore this pit out more..

I will do all of my bass fishing in these 2 areas this year..I like secluded areas where there is little to no pressure and is known for monster bass..Biggest bass to date from Saddle Creek is 15 pounds..

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-08-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spot one-Local power plant lake that is heated. This lake has produced numerous 50-60 fish days for us, from flats to drop offs. We documented one year that our fish averaged 4 3/4 lbs, i caught several over 7 out of here, and hooked several bigger that, heard of quite a few tens and elevens coming out of here and a 14 was shocked up by the biologists out of this lake. It is good because the consant warmth keeps the fish active and feeding year round.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tenoroc...My favorite pit is for trolling motors only..catch and release only and is a management area only..I know where the 3 main sand/rock bars are..and it always produces...not alot of structure here but very deep..3 - 35 feet..I will probably buy another depth finder to explore this pit out more..
Here C7, When the water gets cold like during our winter months the big bass are found down deep in the deep holes. I had a freind that I worked with for a while that had caught a 10 lb largemouth out of one of these deep water holes.

My favorite fishing lake is a deep cold water lake that has a smallmouth population in it. I fish mostly for cold water species such as salmon and trout as well as white perch. Smallmouth in this lake can get big but it takes a real long time for one to reach anything heavey.. The deep holes in this lake gets down to 128 feet with very few fish in it. Most fish in the months of July and August only get down to around 75 feet with a few on the bottom once in a while. This lake is said to be made of 5 fresh water springs.. This is a lake called West Grand Lake and is quite popular as well as fished alot.. I ice fish this lake as well at 25 to 45 feet on some shoals and ledges...

The St.Croix River up here is another area I like to fish and almost anything can be caught from this river and it's flowages.. Fish from Atlantic Salmon to bluegills can be caught from here. It doesn't support much in line of many trout however as it is mostly shallow with the average depth of 10 feet and a few deep holes ranging up to 45 feet at the max. With sunken logs and tree stumps as well as an old railroad bed it is great for smallmouth fishing.
There is plenty more areas I enjoy to fish in so to name my favorite it would have to be the one mentioned first. However we do have a couple of lakes that contain largemouths in this area. I am not used to fishing for them so I can not give much input in that area..
Old 02-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Summarized..

Low people pressure
Various water depths in thick vegetation
Bait fish
moving water
Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Almost all of my fishing spots have some type cover last year I was making my rounds in one of those spots and caught a 9 pounder which is the biggest one I have ever caught it was a good one for that lake.I had to get her out of a tree she tangled herself up in the submerged oak tree and I went and got her.I caught her on a carolina rigged Zoom Watermelon seed U-tail worm.