Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Where to start?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where to start?

Ok, so yesterday my 4 year old daughter came up to me and asked, no, practically BEGGED me to take her fishing. I don't know where it came from, but that's life with a very precocious pre-schooler.

Only one little problem... I'm a hunter, not a fisherman. I've fished before, mostly as a kid, but my understanding of fishing can be basically summed up like this: 1) Put whatever bait you got on a hook. 2) Cast into water. 3) Pray 4) Open Beer 5) Drink Beer. Repeat steps 3 through 5 until you catch a fish, or run out of beer, whichever comes first.

Now, I also have no fishing tackle. I have a tackle box, filled with shooting stuff. So I'm starting from scratch. What should I get to start out. There are a thousand different rods, reels, baits, lures, etc.. to choose from and I don't have a clue where to start.

I'd be fishing from a pond, Coralville Reservoir/Lake MacBride, or the Iowa river. The latter are really brown and silty, and all fishing would be done from the shore. The fish I know live here are bass, crappie, walleye, maybe northerns, catfish/bullheads, and carp. The only fish I caught in the last 15 years was a maybe 3lb walleye on a pink plastic worm-like lure, which was what just happened to be on the line of the borrowed rod I was fishing with.

I want to take her fishing, but i need to know where to start, without spending very much money.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

i suggest picking up a spinning rod uglystik combos are great for yourself and for your daughter a push button rod you can get em at walmart for $15-$20 most of those rods come with line get #4 baitholder hooks some small splitshot and some floats also some worms and dont forget snacks also hey 3lbs walleye thats a nice fish
Old 08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey 3lbs walleye thats a nice fish
Yeah, that's what everyone tells me. I was surprised when I reeled it in, and it fought like a carp, which is what I thought it was until I landed it. I wound up giving it to some asian dude with a bucket full of carp. He was pretty happy. Caught it on the first cast of the day, didn't get so much as a nibble the rest of the day.

Mike