Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Canoes

Old 06-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Canoes

Okay, so I finally joined up. I've been reading the hunting forums for a long time and feel that I know most of you by now.
Am wondering if anyone fishes from a canoe as I am planning on buying one mainly for float trips on the creeks and rivers. It seems to me that canoe fishing would be a little awkward.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Canoes

I had a bad expereince once in the army..hold on for a canoe tale..

I was stationed at Fort Stewart GA..My best friend ..a brown belt in Karate..these kind of freinds may come in handy someday.went and rented a canoe from the recreation department..In the service we only get to fish about once a year.GA was new to both of us.Joselph was from Ohio. There happened to be a bass tournament going on on this gator and moccassin filled stick marsh type of lake..I had an old metal tackle box with 10 trays filled will all kinds of stuff. I had bought the tackle box from a fellow soldier.I was wearing my new beaver skin cowboy hat and was set..Teh canoe felt weird but we got adjusted..We had to be real careful..For about 3 hours all was fine..The fish were not cooperating though and there were about 1o boats areound us bass fishing .We were not in the tournament..just fishin.. Joe..caught a really big bluegill.and put him on a stringer..Then we started fisihing again..I wanted to see that fish again so I leaned over and said ,"Joe , that is one big fish." And then at the same time he leans ove and says ,"It sure is," and since we were both leaning over at the same time.Ga PLOP! The canoe flipped..All 10 boats strared at us as we started laughing from embarassment..My metal tackle box sunk with 90 % of the lures..only one rod floated..My beaver hat was very soggy..and it took us a while to get back in the canoe which was 1/2 way filled in water..fishing was over..I haven't been in one since..they can be tipsy.

PS Welcome to the HNI fishing forum.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:52 PM
F3d
Banned

And then at the same time he leans ove and says ,"It sure is," and since we were both leaning over at the same time.Ga PLOP! The canoe flipped..All 10 boats strared at us as we started laughing from embarassment..My metal tackle box sunk with 90 % of the lures..only one rod floated..My beaver hat was very soggy..and it took us a while to get back in the canoe which was 1/2 way filled in water..fishing was over..I haven't been in one since..they can be tipsy.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I enjoy fishing from canoes.. I own a 17'4" Old Town Discovery canoe and a 14'7" Old Town guide canoe. One thing to keep in mind when purchasing a canoe is what you want it for. For instance if you are to be fishing mostly dead water you would want one with a keel on it. If you are to do alot of current then get one without a keel. The keel will help you keep the canoe more steady in a dead water with a breeze blowing. Thet keel will work like a drag, but in fast water or current the keel will cause problems. The problem is when the keel gets caught in the current and it takes you where the current is verses where you want to go. I was white watering in one when the keel caught the current. When trying to catch it to bring the canoe back around the canoe spun. The next thing I knew 2 of us in the canoe went backwards over a small waterfalls. The half gallon we had with might of helped cause the problem but we was glad it was tied in the canoe for us. A canoe can take a little getting used to though as they can be tippy at times. I find that my longer one the 17'4" discovery is more stable than the shorter 14'7". No matter what you decide have a great time with it. Sometimes we take them out during the summer just to dump then and have a little fun with them on purpose. Good Luck with what you decide..
I will admit they can be tippy, however the size of them and other factors make up how stable or tippy they really are. Here they are used for white watering as well so it takes a little getting used to. Once you get used to it you will find they are not all that bad. They too take little water to slide threw. My 17'4" takes about 2 inches to travel threw and I enjoy it. For as far as noice goes mine is very quite in reality but it is not the aluminum one either.

And yes, welcome to the forums..
Old 06-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had some bad experiences with canoes and its always been when my partner shifted there weight. Its happened several times and I don't like canoes for fishing, the're too tippsy and noisy. I've have a K-111 fishing kiiak (SP?) set up strictly for fishing. Its steady and very well balanced in the water. It sits just above water level which may be a disadvantage but having a low profile you can get closer also without spooking the fish. Its about 11 ft. long and I can shove it in the bed of the truck and fish these remote lakes and streams. Not too sure if this is an option if your in gator country. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

its tough get some outriggers it will stabilize it also get a trolling motor mount its a lot quieter and easier
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Good of you guys to reply. The end of this month I'll be on vacation and one of the spots I'll be staying has canoe rentals for a float down a slow running creek. We'll be a day and a night so by the time we're through I'll have an idea if a canoe is right for me.
My idea is to get back into fishing a bit. I haven't fished in 20+ yrs. I may just get a small Jon boat for the lakes around here. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money and I want to keep it simple. Years ago I had a bass boat and all the amenities. I found that for me it took all the fun out of it and I sold it all and haven't fished since. Actually I haven't enjoyed fishing since all I had was a pole and a worm and sitting on a creek bank.
Thanks for replying, and the instability plus not being able to stand up and stretvh the legs may tip me in favor of something else.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

I've been fishing out of a canoe for years, but not on a river. I go on small lakes, and I never had a problem. Sure you can't get up and walk around, but I found that if you watch yourself, you won't have a problem. It is kind of a pain fishing with two people, because you're so far apart, but for carrying a boat back to small lakes, it works great. I like it because it's light and easy to carry, compared to a small jon boat, although its not as stable.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I love fishing from my canoes that is for sure. No matter what the water is fast moving or slow moving you name it. It's hard to beat a nice quite day on the water and you normally will get to see more wildlife that way. Canoes can be tippy however so a little practice can go along ways. So do not be discourage if you have a rough go at it at first. Think of it has learning to ride a bicycle for the first time. I have my smaller canoe loaded up for tomorrow morning it is suposed to be some nice weather for once. I als will be putting in it the " third seat ". This seat is movable so that one person can handle the canoe without ant issues. I am using the smaller canoe because of that fact I will be heading out into a small stream with it. Here is a pic of it loaded up along with what the " third seat " looks like..

Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

The third seat that I use in this small canoe or any canoe if fishing alone.. With this seat in my small canoe I can use a kayak paddle if I wish to.. This seat attaches to the gunales any place in the canoe you want it to. In my bigger canoe it makes the canoe able to take an extra person with you as well. Also the truck is all mud in the pic above from traveling the dirt roads up here..

Quick Reply: Canoes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.