Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Pike Fishing help!

Old 04-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pike Fishing help!

What works good for you when you go pike fishing? I used a weedless frog lure the two times I went. First time I didn' t get much. Second time I got a huge strike, but I must not have set the hook good enough.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pike Fishing help!

The best lure by far for pike is a plain old red and white dardevil. I use that first thing everytime I pike fish somwhere. I don' t know what it is about the color but they love it. Pike fishing for me is the most relaxing thing I can do. It may seem a little basic and not very challenging but I would say 80% of pike I' ve caught in my life have on a cigar style float and a chub or smelt set down about 1/2 to 2/3 the actual depth of the water you' re fishing. There' s nothing better than seeing that float get pulled under and start swiming away it' s the unltimate. The only thing you have to remember fishing that way is to weight the float just right so it sits kind of like a water logged log other wise the fish will feel to much resistance when he or she pulls it down and they will let it go. There are lines on the floats so you will know what I' m talking about. You have to weight it so teh water level is sitting near teh top line of the float. Also when they initally hit alot of guys want to set the hook right away (bad idea) when a pike hits somthing like that he will usually take it down and run with it for a little ways just holding it in his mouth. Thus if the hook is set to early all the guy does is pull teh bait out of the fish mouth without hooking anything. After the run he will stop and then acctually consume the bait and then start to move again. It' s after he statrs moving the second time you want to set the hook. You will lose alot less fish this way I guarantee it.

The other 20% would be a toss up between the Husky Jerk, the Hellcat (which for some reason they don' t make anymore) red and white redeye' s, red and white daredevils, white lead heads with a white twister tail works really good, lindy gator spoons and somthing new I' m trying this year that I have used 2 times and each of the 2 times I' ve used it I' ve pulled in 4 pike between 12-18 lbs, is the lindy tiger tube.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

My biggest pike (26lbs) was caught on a 1/8th oz jig, 6" black plastic worm, using 8lb test line. I was fishing for walleye at the time. This pike was caught in 8ft of water, Sept. long weekend,80 degrees out., thought I had a snag as in no fight. Pike are a cold/deep water fish, we could`nt figure this one out. Anyways, this might help you some. Good luck.

Ron
Old 04-13-2003, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

I' m with Jlb66 for the most part If using metal the Dare Devil red and white is number one.

I use bait mostly, big shiners, 30 lb mono leader, they do shy away from metal leaders. To use mono you need to use circle hooks. haven' t had any floats go down that I didden' t hook up. I fish open water coves and set the float about 1 ft over the weeds. Generally the depth is 5 to 12 feet. last year I got a 36" fish, thats a big one in Connecticut, on a 5' deep flat just off a a drop off to 7-9' of water. Remember you don' t hook the fish as in jerking the rod with circle hooks. the drag of the float is enough to set the hook!!! Was going to my faverote pike lake today and last minute realized I was a week before opening day. Darn trout stocking. I call trout stocking in pike lakes feeding the pike. I' m not aganist stocking or trout just wish I didden' t have to miss the early pike season for opening day trout!!

One Shot One Kill Striper Phil
Old 04-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Red and white Daredevils, in line spinner baits are two baits that I catch most of my pike on !!!
Old 04-13-2003, 09:01 PM

Im new to spoon fishing, so how do you weigh down a spoon? and how much weight?
Old 04-15-2003, 10:38 PM

Casting to them or trolling, I like the good ol' Cisco Kid in red and white 6" long. Other wise I like to set up with medium equipment, 10-15# test line, a 6" chub or perch and a ballon about 4" in diameter as a float, drag set sort of loose to medium, sit back have a cool one and maybe even a nap. hard to beat it on a nice afternoon or evening.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would say you probley ripped the hook out of his mouth. normaly if a northern hits it hes inhaled the hook.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep cant beat a red&white spoon can really get those big flat ones to sail into the wind& cast it downwind a ways.[]
I think pike like all kindsa water conditions etc, seem very adaptable ,i realiy like to catch them & eat im too : P

Got to many trout here& not enough pike etc[:' (]....Dont know what these game& fish bioligist etc are thinking here or where they went to school.

Off hand with a name like nothern pike id say it was a cold water species !lol

& adaptable to deep , man made lakes etc of mostly rocks bottems, shores....& lotsa trout to eat
Old 04-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Duck and 1eye are right about pike being cold water fish, ever wonder why you only catch small pike in the weeds during the summer.The biggins are down deep feeding on suckers, herring, whitefish and so on. Iam surprized that no one mentioned the 5 of diamonds as a spoon to use.

Quick Reply: Pike Fishing help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.