Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Lake of the Woods

Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lake of the Woods

My family is planning on taking a fishing/houseboating trip on the Lake of the Woods in Canada this summer. If you or anybody that you know has ever fished Lake of the Woods, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. I'd like to know what I can expect to catch if I go. Thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lake of the Woods

I haven't been there, but I know for a fact that you can catch just about anything, like musky, walleye, northern pike, and panfish.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending upon what you want to catch is where you fish in the lake. I would do some more research before heading up. I fish Lakers and Walleye up there. It is about 30 miles by boat between the 2 spots. I fish in Whitefish bay area.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have been checking into the lake and It seems that Rainy Lake in northern Minnesota would be almost a better spot to fish. Has anybody ever fished Rainy Lake, or LOW. How did you do if you fished either of these lakes or which of these lakes do you think is better?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never been on Rainy, but fish LOW alot. But the canadian side. We do very well
Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Teejay

Never been on Rainy, but fish LOW alot. But the canadian side. We do very well
What do you do well on? Walleys, muskies, bass, northerns? Did you throw crankbaits or jig? I am planning on fishing the Canadian side as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always catch a buss load of walleye, but we basicly target Lake Trout. I only fish Canada side.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks. Do you know if you need a Canadian fishing license to fish on the Canadian side and a Minnesota fishing license to fish on the US side, or is one license good for the whole lake. Also, which side would you say looks better for fishing?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Spike

The Minn. side of the lake is wide open water. The canadian side has alot of islands and bays.
Need a can. license to fish that side of the lake.
I am from the Nestor Falls area up near Whitefish Bay.
Lot's of Northern Pike, walleye. Good bass, crappieand muskie fishing. Depends on the time of year as to what type of water depth and structure you can catch good amount of fish.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Clearwater bay!!!!! Best spot I know. You can target big lakers but can't keep any..... worth the trip. My best trip our party caught and released 5 lakers and 11 northerns. Best was a 30lb laker and a 52" northern...... I got skunked. Don't try and cheat here tho...... the locals watch fisheraman with binocs.
Walleye, panfish, muskie, lake trout and pike are the norm. Big fish abound if your doing it right. Good luck

Quick Reply: Lake of the Woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.