Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Question

Old 04-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question

My uncle has a pond in the development he lives in in KY, a few of his neighbors stocked it well and my uncle said that there is a bunch of HUGE bluegills and crappie and the bass are on average about 3-4 lbs. These guys even went to Lake Cumberland to get lillypads.
He told me that they told him that you shouldnt keep any fish out of the pond because of ecoli due to all of the goose and duck crap. He said that in the fall, there are 700-1000 geese and there are a few families of ducks all year long. Have yall ever heard of this and should I be worried about keeping fish like they said or what?
Thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question

As far as contaminating the fish I don' t think ducks are going to mess them up. Fish get " poisoned" from " breathing" poisoned water. When there are chemicals and hard metals dissolved in the water they absorb those chemicals when they filter the water through their gills. Kind of like eatin old paint chips and getting lead poison. So if the duck refuse isn' t getting mixed with the water badly and the fish aren' t consuming it I don' t see how it' d effect them. If it' s a concern have someone test it to see if it' s safe, but if you see any fish coming out of there with legs and four eyes you may want to throw them back.

Brandan
Old 04-04-2003, 03:12 AM

I doubt if they would cause you any problems, but like Irishlad said, you could always get the water/fish tested to be on the safe side. Of course, you could always throw ' em back and enjoy draggin' back in a little later on.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:41 AM

Have the water and the fish tested that is the only way to prove anything.