Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Florida Bass: How To Guide >

Florida Bass: How To Guide

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Florida Bass: How To Guide

Old 07-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Spike

Default Florida Bass: How To Guide

Well the fam finally picked a great spot for the reunion this year, it will be held at a large golf and beach resort in southern Florida.

I am absolutely terrible at golf so I wont be doing any of that. But what this resort does have is 72 fresh water ponds stocked with largemouth. The ponds are catch and release only. I'm freaking pumped.

I'm an avid largemouth fisherman but have never fished for them any further south than Pittsburgh, Pa.

I'm sure its probably the same kinda game down there as it is up here. But if anyone can give me some heads up on some tricks to use it would be appreciated.

The trip will be through the end of July till august.

THANKS!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Florida Bass: How To Guide

welcome to the forumseveral guys on here from florida that'll get you pointed in the right direction, if you get a free day try to hook up with a guide at stick marsh/farm 13. also be careful of walking across big logs, some are big lizards[:-]

also may want to check out BBC.com
Old 07-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

hi,
I fish about 4 times a week in Florida..They were on this morning.I got 6 nice ones in the boat..The technique I'll share with you is so productive that it's against tournament regulations..

First..fish the shore line with your best lure..The best lure I've found right now is a 6 inch Red Shad worm fished Texas rig..I use a BB round split shot..

NOW for the fish producer and how I boated 5 this morning..and lost my first monster wall hanger of the year/[:@]
OK you are going to fish a second rod..Tie a worm hook on your line.TEXAS STYLE ...but NO bullet sinker..Rig your favorite dark colored worm on..my favorite Florida color is red shad..Next...pinch a BB split shot abouit 18 " above the worm..like a Carolina rig..except this is called a pegged rig..Simply cast that worm behind ya and lay that rod across your leg while you fish up the shoreline..presuming you will be in a boat..[8D]When you feel a tap quickly lay your #1 rod down and grab your pegged rig rod..I caught 5 on the drag along rod this morning...and lost one monster..I thought I was hung up ...when I tried to snatch it loose..it pulled the opposite direction about breaking my wrist..
I'll be back.

I also tried other baits fo ra long time..

Chatter bait...nothing
Black and gold Rapala...lost one dink
Rooster Tail...boated a nice 2 pounder
Jig no bites.
Red Shad..pegged Texas Rig and regular Texas Rig .12 hits..

Summary...plan to use a rubber worm for success.
all fish were in 5- 10 foot of water...near cat tails or hydrilla.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Spike

I like the sounds of deadsticking! Sounds like something to try when I have the float tube out. I'll be fishing all these ponds on foot though, however, if im in the mood for some exercise I'll be sure to give it a try!

My biggest problem that I am facing is deciding which rigs to bring. I have a 7ft spinning rig that is my worm fishing rig.That one for sure is coming along. I just can't decide whether the 6ft baitcaster for spinnerbait and topwaters should come or the lil guy, my 6ft spinning rig I use for light topwaters and plastic swim baits (which I have recently falling in love with!)

Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Dominant Buck

You are correct..the 7 foot worm rig has to come..that will be your most productive..It also depends on the pressure that these ponds have gotten..Other than a worm my most productive lure is the 3 /8 th ounce WHITE Rooster Tail spinnier on a 6 1/2 foot medium rod with high speed open faced spinning reel. This is a great set up for schooling fish..learning the ponds depths and structure..for catching bottom, top or suspended fish..I have about 250 .00 worth of top notch lures in my box...I try them all BUT I always end up being the most productive with the Red Shad 6 inch Gambler worm and Warden's 3/8 ounce White Rooster Tail..

Some will tell you that the Rooster only catches small fish..that is thier lossI've lost count of the amount of 5 pound plus bass I've boated on them..

ONE MORE thing..I would highly reccomend you using the 15 pound Power Pro braid...It cast great..bumps a worm wonderful and does great on spinning and baitcasting..When our big bass make that initial run..it feels like a freight train has your lure..I'm being serious. I've been pulled into the lake before off the shore..they are incredibley strong if they catch you off guard..
God bless and enjoy God's creation,
Chuck7

PS...I seldom use a bullet sinker..I use a round { Not clinch} type BB split shot to get a slower sinking worm..I also don't dead stick the rear pegged worm....Since I'm in a boat the rear rod is bumping and swimming better than I could fish it myself..NICE and SLOW..The rod on my bare knee is a highly sensirive Team Diawa..I can feel the slightest pick up..This rig CAN NOT be used in tournaments..It is deadly..for many reasons..

A...It would take great patience to fish this worm this slow..and even in our highly weedy lakes the rig is 99% weedless..

B, The worm stays in the water..where the fish are.

C. In our weedy lakes..the worm slowly swimming above the bottom is most effective..

D,I'vetried many colors..I've experimented with 3 rods many times side by side drifting like this..the Red Shad always wins the contest..followed by black and blue ..