Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 I've got a change of heart on Suffix. >

I've got a change of heart on Suffix.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

I've got a change of heart on Suffix.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default I've got a change of heart on Suffix.

Well..it's stronger than Trilene by a long shot..but on my 10th fishig trip....look at the memory..[]the curly cues

and also notice the bubble in the line ..it's not actually a bubble but that is the 8th place I've noticed where the line seems to be comng apart..and this abrasoion is not ner the lure..it's a good 50 feet up toward the reel..And this is happening to each reel..spincast and baitcaster..

On a good note..I pulled 4 quality bass out of the trees today using Power Pro..My friends it's back to Power Pro..and the line was white...and 3 yrs old..went 4 for 4 and they were all about 2 1/2 pounds ..

Sorry Oneshot...I just have to be honest man..I do believe with a snap swivel one would have no problems at all EXCEPT for that line coming apart..That was very suttle ..but when you bump in a worm in you get to notice every inch of the line . I made sure it wasn't trash..and it wasn't ..Fibers were breaking apart within this brand new line..Ooch.

Below is the bad memory

Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I've got a change of heart on Suffix.

I'm back to Power Pro..
Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck i have never had that problem with mine, at all. The only thing i can think of is that you may have gotten a bad batch. If I were you I would send it back to sufix.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Partner,

Suffix does cast like a charm..is strong as a bull and comes in great colors that will get you bites...I would think that ALL monos will twist up if you are fishing with a rubber worm pegged or not..I would still choose Suffix over Trilene simply because it's stronger. You can set your medium heavy rod with 10 pound test on without any fear of breakage..I've broke off many times setting the hook on Trilene..

Now those little abrasions freaked me out..Also..I noticed when I was cranking my lures in using crankbaits I could actually hear the line making a funny noise ..like fibers stretching..When bumping the worm I always have the line running between my left thumb and index finger..it was then I notived the abrasions...and they were not near the worm or I may of thought th eline was cut on rocks or something...no sir..the abrasions were way up ..a good 60 foot from the worm..As far as the memory and a bad batch of line..I don't think so..The 14 pound does th esame thing..super curly cues...I personally don't think there is a mono out there that I can fish my ribbon worm with..

What I plan to do..is simply have3 baitcasters with Power Pro..Power Pro has ZERO memory for sure..I've fished with it since you introduced it to me..and that line is great for worming..especially pitching and flipping..I'll stay with SUffix for fishing everything else..and I will start fishing my Rooster Tail with a snap swivel ..I will not use a swivel with a rubber worm..I have zero confidence doing that..I tried yesterday and it looked like a hardware store..

have a great day partner,
C7
Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just about all monofiliments get memory. The best thing I've found for reducing it, is to a) pull the spool off and soak it in a glass of water for 20 minutes, or just wrap a wet paper towel around the spool. that said, try yo zuri hybrid. I'm still on my same spool from 3 years ago, and it still tests the same breaking strength. and I fish A LOT.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Dominant Buck

try yo zuri hybrid. I'm still on my same spool from 3 years ago, and it still tests the same breaking strength. and I fish A LOT.

Thanks Josh..I saw a spool of that for the first time yesterday at my favorite tackle shop..but the smallest they had was 20lb..for 22.00 I was hoping they had some 10lb..I usually just go there for Gambler worms or shiners..Yesterday I checked out the entire store..I ended up buying 2 packs of Zoom tubes..one 1/2 ounce Little George..one Mann's minus 1 in fire tiger and a nice foil mighty minnow by Bagley..top water

After the Rays ballgame was over last night I drove down to Wally and got some 15 pound Power Pro..6 pound diameter..I put it on my spinning reel though for 2 reasons..

1. When fishing in a 10 foot it's easier to cast and not worry about smacking someone in the back in the head..
2. Spinning reels don't get backlashes and that stuff aint cheap.

I keep 20 pound Power Pro on my Fenwick flipping stick and that has worked out nice..It's a baitcaster..
Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck, check your guides. most likely you will find the one at the top of your pole is cracked, or damage in some way. If it isn't that one check them all. If you have ceramic guides they can crack very easily.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Guides are fine....just checked..plus it'sa new rod..
I apreciate your concern though..
Old 06-20-2008, 06:41 PM

I use Power Pro ,too.It's pretty good stuff,and that stuff is strong.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Dominant Buck

While fishing last Monday..I cast my Rattle Trap a long ways..I happenedto look down and my Suffix line was broken into...[:-]yep..I grabbed my line that was attached to to the lure and hand over hand pulled it in..I will not be buyin gSuffix anymore..I'm going back to Power Pro.15lb.

On a better note..I stepped down to 15 pound test Power Pro..I'm in love..that is the perfect weight fo rme..It's 6 pound diameter..and I landed my 7 pounder lastMonday on it with no problem..I also caught a 5 1/2 on Suffix 10 pound..that bass bit my Red Shad worm like a 6 inch bass..when I set the hook she came alive.

Quick Reply: I've got a change of heart on Suffix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.