Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Pike fishing newby question... >

Pike fishing newby question...

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Pike fishing newby question...

Old 02-26-2003, 08:01 PM

Default Pike fishing newby question...

Last year I went Bassin' with a pro. And what an adventure that was. I can' t wait for spring to get started again. However, I' m going after Northern Pike this year too. Do I always, always, always use a steel leader?
If so, my suspending lures will be rendered useless. They' ll become sinkers.
I realize Pike have big, sharp teeth but how often do they cut a non-steel line? I' ve watched several fishing shows where the guys didn' t use steel leaders and they didn' t lose any lures. Do I take a chance?
At present I' m not likely to. Could some of you experienced Pike fishers help me out? Many thanks, critch.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pike fishing newby question...

I' ve been fishin Northerns for as long as I can remember and the only time I don' t use a leader for pike is when I' m not fishing them. If you have alot of money and don' t mind losing lures then you don' t have to use a leader. But I can guarantee when you hook into a 20lb+ fish and he' s right up to the side of your boat and all of a sudden decides to bite down and cut your line you' ll wish you had a leader on. But the final decision is up to you. I have fished suspending lures with leaders and yes the heavy gauge leaders do make them sink. I have found the 20 lb test Titanium leaders work very well when fishing suspending lures it doesn' t seem to effect the lure that much. But like I said you can do with what you want but I never northern fish without a leader.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:32 AM

i cant fish pike without leaders. i had a 35" muskie next to the boat on a jig, no leader just tied on for smallies, and he was the rough equivalant of a nice pike. turned his head, and bit off the line. so yes, use a leader. im glad sometimes when im not fishing them and have a leader on. its helped me land a 45" muskie, a 33" muskie, and several large pike. you will spend alot of money on lures if you dont use a leader. use a lighter leader if its pulling your suspending lures down.

slayer
Old 02-27-2003, 08:02 AM

jlb66, and Deerslayer, thank you both for your advice. You confirmed my suspicions. I have some steel leaders already in my box and will not fail to use them. I just need to learn how to use them with my different lures. One thing is certain, I' m goin to have fun learning!
Thanks to my buddy the basser pro, I' m far better at bass fishing. I caught my first small mouth last June. Thrill!
The way I see it, if I get that excited about a small mouth bass then I may have a heart attack over a large pike.
Thanks again. critch
Old 02-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your totally against using a wire leader.and the fish are leader shy you might try using a length (24-36" ) 30 or 40# test mono. it won' t stop all the teeth But will help.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:48 AM

I used to hate steel leaders, but they are a big help when the Pike are really feeding. It only took me losing my unreplaceable spoon to put a leader on.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use a leader and save your pocket!!!! There are many lures that will work well for pike that the leader will not hinder. I suggest trying mepps inline spinners usually #3, #4 or #5(I tend to like the #4 best, but carruy a variety for all possibilities) (Firetigger, Copper and Brass). I remove all the trebles and replace with barbless singles. Not only does this allow for ease of release, but it will allow you to throw change up' s to those finicky toothy critters. I like to add a 8" purple berkley worm or a 6" black sluggo when the bite is tough - trailer. Another sure fire way to trigger those large pike to strike, make a streamer(trailer) and tie on the J. I cut off the standard O ring and replace with an oring that allows me to just switch the trailer quickly. This lure can be run on the bottom in a slow retrieve, suspended or surface run. Another good bet for pike is top water baits; buzz baits, Zarra Spook (My fav.), chug bug, poppers, choppers...the list goes on. Not only do they attack topwater is is a blast. While spoons, cranks and jigs account for good days, by far the mepps out produces every other lure in my box.

I have caught several pike in the 45-55" range and most were on a mepps. Like AMEX don' t leave home without them.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:51 PM

I learned that the hard way I went ice fishing for pike this year on the way up to the lake we stopped at a local bait shop and the owner gave us what we thought was good advice which was to use 15 lb mono as a leader instead of wire leader he told us the fish were line shy what a mistake that was i can' t even recall how many fish we lost some at the hole I will never go for pike again without steel leader[X(]
Old 03-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use a steel leader in the summer fishing. but in winter on my tip ups i have about 15 lb fire line on them. i have gout 8 lb northerns on 8 lb fire line and they didnt saw threw the line

Quick Reply: Pike fishing newby question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.