Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 favorite everything lure? >

favorite everything lure?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

favorite everything lure?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Default favorite everything lure?

what is your favorite lure for fishing?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: favorite everything lure?

zoom trickworm or a white 1/6 or 1/8 rooster tail
Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 AM
Dominant Buck

OK my favorite one lure for catching differnt quality species...

The 3/8 ounce white Rooster Tail

1.Bass ...at least 5 over 5 pounds and about 200 others.
lost 2 monsters each over 10.[:@][:@][:@][:@]

2.Sunshine bass { hybred stripers} abouit 20 biggest was 5 pounds

3.Crappie ..about 10

4Bluegills ..smaller size { 1/8th}same color...about 20

5Blue Catfish about 20 biggest 13 pounds..

6Pickeral ...about 10 biggest about 2 foot long..

7. Tilapia ..biggest was the ..state record in which I ate. 4.6 pounds[&:][&o]caught about 4 but many more on Panther Martin

8. Florida Gar...about 5 biggest about 2 foot.

I keep a good selection of Roosters in my top shelf of my tackle box...
Advantages ..
a. Is a great countdown lure to act as a poor man's depth finder.
b. Not too expensive...3.90 in cabelas for 3/8
c. Stays at a constant depth pretty good to fish bottom , suspended or just under the surface top water bait.
d. looks very real life ..and a ton of different colors to match the hatch.
e.Great reactin lure..not many people use them down here so it's newto the fish.
Disadvantages
a. It's a small bait so many of your fish will be small.
b. You willneed to practice with this lure..keeping the blade turning and fishing a constant depth atthe right speed will be alittle challenge for some.
c.The lure is difficult to find in my neck of the woods..I have to order and pay shipping.
d. The treble hooks do not come razor sharp and are small so keeping fish in is the biggest challenge. You will need ot resharpen hooks and keep that rod doubled over with a snug drag..
e. The hackle {Feathers} do discolor rather quickly ...the feathers also wear away within a few months..so they appear to be a short brown hackle instead of a new fluffy white hackle..don't try bleaching them..[&:]I already did..Results..no hackle in 60 seconds..[&o]

And with all that..Rooster is my favorite all purpose lures..I've won 3 local fun bass tournaments on this lure.. NOT my favorite bass lure BUT all purpose lure.My favorite bass lure is the rubber worm.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Rapala - will catch anything that swims.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM

I throw more varieties of soft plastics than anything else, by far.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

"Rapala - will catch anything that swims. "

They are in my bottom tray...I have a medium sized 3 tray tackle box I take fishing..Only my best stuff is in it..The other stuff stays home in my giant storage tackle box..In my bottom tray I have many Rapalas...They are among my top 5 lures..My favorites are the big floaters..I also like Norman crankbaits.., Mann's Minus One , Heddon Top Water.and Bagley Bass n Shad. In the bottom of my box I kep a Plano plastic worm box filled with jigs and worms..That is what I normally use for bass. During crappie season ..i exchange those Plano boxes for my crappie jig box.and vice versa fo rbluegills.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:55 PM

how do you catch stuff with rooster tails????????
i fish in a farm pond with cat, bass, grass carp, bluegill and never caught anything with a yellow one
Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

3/8 oz. chart./white Chatterbait. I have caught more bass and big crappie on it than any other lure. I love that you can fish it like a jig, slow roll it like a spinnerbait, or burn it right under the surface.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Topwater "Walk the Dog" bugeye Only a few around and they cost 25 dollars apeice but they work so good and catch fish consistently. Made in Japan

Most productive I would say is a Trickworm, jig, and Zoom Fluke.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

how do you catch stuff with rooster tails????????
i fish in a farm pond with cat, bass, grass carp, bluegill and never caught anything with a yellow one

If you've read my post you will see I don't use any color but white..I've never caught nothing on yellow eiither..
OK ..put on your imagination hat and let me give ya 4 scenerios where a WHITE 3/8 ounce Rooster will work..
I fish no other color but white UNLESS I have to .

A. It's early ...your body of water has a small pocket cut out ...Water is like 3 feet deep and there should be a spawning bass in there...CONSIDERING your an expert caster..gently chuck the Rooster back missing the shore line by about 8 inches..let her sink about 6 inches and sweep the rod gently to start the willow blade turning..Bring the Rooster ever so slowly yet blade turning back to the boat..Frustrate Mr./Bass by making 2 or three more cast in the same spot.WHAM!!! bif fish on..I've caught many big ones like this..

B. While fishing you noticeschooling bass ahead...about 15 yds..Cast about 5 yds ahead of the churning bass...let the Rooster sink about 12 inches..slowly BUT keep willow turning...rod bent fish on..Almost a guarantee. I caught 23 in 15 minutes like this once...not real big but up to 2 pounds..

C. You are striking out..you know there is structure and it's real deep ..past 15 feet. Cast long...let Rooster hit the bottom..sweep,,,and reel just fast enough to turn willow.TRYING your best to keep lure near the bottom..both of my GIANT hawgs were hooked like this.

D. It's the early morning hours..In Florida at this time bass feed on Gizzard Shad...I lay a worm rod across my left knee and drift a worm...and run my boat literaaly right beside the islands..I cast long letting Rooster go down about 4 feet.deep and about 5 feet from the island.and the morning hour fish will attack it..

But normally...right now in the dog days with the spawn over...I drift one rod with a rubber worm...I have one rod loaded with a weedless spinner bait for when I run into heavy weeds..YOU CAN'T FISH A ROOSTER IN WEEDSOne rod with an MTHands jig..to show the fish something new...a good crankbait...and a White Rooster to learn depth and hopefully provoke a deep reaction bite.but now in June..99% of my fishing is Jig or rubber worm..finessing with light mono line..or for fun a wild shiner...this is nearly a 100%
God bless,
C7

Quick Reply: favorite everything lure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.