HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Time for a catch and release poll. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/245659-time-catch-release-poll.html)

Chuck7 05-11-2008 12:01 AM

Time for a catch and release poll.

You catch your first 10 pound Largemouth bass.
You..

A. Take a picture and release it.
B. Get a fiberglass mount and release it.
C. You get it mounted
D. You eat it.

RESULTS

You..
A. Take a picture and release it.2
B. Get a fiberglass mount and release it. 8
C. You get it mounted9
D. You eat it.1

Updated May 20, 2008..

Dairy King 05-11-2008 01:56 AM

RE: Time for a catch and release poll.

Mounted.

Dairy King 05-11-2008 01:56 AM

In fact I have a 5lber in the freezer right now waiting to go.

Chuck7 05-11-2008 02:05 AM

I'd mount it as well..;)

solocamcan 05-11-2008 03:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Dairy King

In fact I have a 5lber in the freezer right now waiting to go.
WOW!!!

solocamcan 05-11-2008 04:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

You..

C. You get it mounted
D. You eat it.
B.......Because unlike somepeople, Iwant my kids to be able to enjoy this sport.

JFergus7 05-11-2008 09:40 AM

Definetly get a fiberglass mount and release!!!

early in 05-11-2008 11:05 AM

Pictures, then release it, much like I do with all ofthese little jewels!;)

troutslayer 05-11-2008 02:22 PM

B. Ill be doing that in a few weeks with my first 13lb walleye;):D

Austin/WI 05-11-2008 02:29 PM

A 10 pounder here in WI might be pushing the state record, I'd be taking a ton of pictures and measurements either way, I do have a scale in my bag and if it was closer to that 11+ pound range - I would have to get it officially weighed, which means it would end up in a cooler.:(

indianahunter83 05-11-2008 04:37 PM

B) and if anyone in one of my ponds did anything other then A or B then they would be up sh!t creek.

patgrizzlyhunter 05-11-2008 04:53 PM

since my biggest largemouth was just over 4 i would mount it.

buckhunter14 05-12-2008 08:43 AM

I would deffinately keep it and mount it.

If you think you, keeping one 10 pound bass is going to ruin the ecosystem of the fish, that is crazy.

If you say that .01 percent of people in the ever catch a 10 pound bass in their life, and keep it, that will do nothing... And .01 is a big number in my mind for people in the world catching a 10+ pounder.

10 pounds is 1.9 pounds way from the STATE RECORD in Michigan. I can't even imagine the SMALL percent of bass that make it above 10 pounds in Michigan. I would say below .1% of bass in Michigan.

JFergus7 05-12-2008 09:01 AM

Austin- A 10lbs what might be pushing the state record for Wisconsin? It certainly isn't walleye.

m.t.hands 05-12-2008 10:48 AM

C. i have not seen any repos that look very good[:@], especially the mouth and gills[:@], that being said i have only kept 4 bass in last 20years, i have a 6.25 smallie mounted, a 7,8, and one over 9 largemouth, so if i catch a 10 pounder it will be mounted, but if i caught a 12-15 pounder that would be mounted and i would not mount another till that mark was eclipsed, in other words it would have to be better than anything else i have caught/mounted pretty much the same as i treat bucks, but i will still shoot 115" and up deer with my bow, rifle it better be a good one, otherwise i'll eat crappie, jacks, bream, bluegill, catfish, speckled trout(sea), redfish, grouper, sewer trout (talapia),and does[:-];)

Chuck7 05-12-2008 12:55 PM

Yes sir.MT.....I've got a 7 pound 25 inch mounted back in 1983..I've since caught 3 over 8 pound..I only photographed them..But my first 10 will be mounted...anything after that..I;m not sure. Mounts are not cheap..over 300.00 around here. This year,,I;m doing my best to get a 10..I'll also be lookng for a good taxidermist.

Thanks for all the replies..After this gets exhausted I'll tally up the data.
C7

Centauri 05-12-2008 03:43 PM

B. I always release my fish, except for walleyes and panfish. Mmmmm....

Austin/WI 05-12-2008 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: JFergus7

Austin- A 10lbs what might be pushing the state record for Wisconsin? It certainly isn't walleye.
The poll question was on largemouth, so I gave an answer for largemouth - state record largemouth is only 11 lbs & some change I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that, it's been awhile since I looked at the books. To clarify further, I only keep an occasional bluegill catch when I have a craving and an occasional trout or salmon while fishing Salmon-a-Rama. Otherwise I rarely keep any fish.

Chuck7 05-12-2008 05:25 PM

I just called a local taxadermist..only 7 dollars per inch and 20.00 for the driftwood..Just under 200 dollars for a big one..Not bad..;)

Austin/WI 05-12-2008 05:30 PM

I just called a local taxadermist..only 7 dollars per inch and 20.00 for the driftwood..Just under 200 dollars for a big one..Not bad..;)
That is a pretty good price. I hope you get to spend that $200 this summer;):D

solocamcan 05-12-2008 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

C. i have not seen any repos that look very good[:@], especially the mouth and gills[:@], that being said i have only kept 4 bass in last 20years, i have a 6.25 smallie mounted, a 7,8, and one over 9 largemouth, so if i catch a 10 pounder it will be mounted, but if i caught a 12-15 pounder that would be mounted and i would not mount another till that mark was eclipsed, in other words it would have to be better than anything else i have caught/mounted pretty much the same as i treat bucks, but i will still shoot 115" and up deer with my bow, rifle it better be a good one, otherwise i'll eat crappie, jacks, bream, bluegill, catfish, speckled trout(sea), redfish, grouper, sewer trout (talapia),and does[:-];)
Lake Fork Taxidermy does AWESOME replicas.

JFergus7 05-12-2008 05:59 PM

Austin- you are right about Largemouth. Wisconsin record is 11.3lbs. Good luck beating that record but I hope you do it!!! The state record has stood since 1940.

Austin/WI 05-12-2008 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: JFergus7

Austin- you are right about Largemouth. Wisconsin record is 11.3lbs. Good luck beating that record but I hope you do it!!! The state record has stood since 1940.
Doubt I'll break that one anytime soon [&:] I thought the record was up there. eh oh well. I caught my largest last summer and that went around 7.5 on my scale. I was pumped but was only able to get one picture from my GF's cell phone.[:@] I released her though, so maybe this weekend....:D;)

And actually, I think the next state record will probably come out of Lake Columbia up in my neck of the woods. 18" min size req compared to 14" almost everywhere else.

m.t.hands 05-12-2008 07:03 PM

do they have a web site, i would not be closed minded, but if i caught that fish of a lifetime this afternoon it would be a real skin mount, like i mentioned the mouth and gill areas i have looked at have been done rather poorly, for me it would be like putting a set of polished porcelin antlers on a deer mount[:'(], but between now and when i do fianally eclipse the double digits maybe i'll run across something i like... i have turned a bunch back that i'm sure other people would have mounted or eaten[:-][:@], and i would not feel bad doing a skin mount knowing it may be my last fish to mount, i will/would honor another persons wish if i were fishing out of their boat or as a guest and the prefer not to remove the fish, then i would probably just go the replica route, and all or most of the tournaments i fish are strictly C&R, but fun fishing at this point its on the wall :D(sorry)[&o]and i will keep checking out repo's;)

huntndemducks 05-12-2008 07:08 PM

10 pounder deffinently have to mount that BUT anything under that i don't think so.........one person keeping 1 bass does not hurt the future of fishing at all....BUT.....the people that go out and keep EVERY single fish they catch that the ones you gotta watch

coorsdrifter1 05-12-2008 07:50 PM

You..

C. You get it mounted
D. You eat it.
bass it's whats for "bait"

Austin/WI 05-12-2008 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: coorsdrifter1

You..

C. You get it mounted
D. You eat it.
bass it's whats for "bait"
I don't know where you're fishing, but if you can pitch out a 10 pounder and call it bait - I want it!;):D
Then again, my best friend has a "dog" that is dwarfed by a couple fish I've thrown as bait....

indianahunter83 05-12-2008 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: huntndemducks

10 pounder deffinently have to mount that BUT anything under that i don't think so.........one person keeping 1 bass does not hurt the future of fishing at all....BUT.....the people that go out and keep EVERY single fish they catch that the ones you gotta watch
Depends on what size body of water you fish in. Take a 10lber out of a farm pond and you just set back that pond a few years in terms of spawning. Take one out of a big reservoir and you won't see as big of difference however if everyone in said reservoir kept their big bass you would see a decline in the fishery.

Austin/WI 05-13-2008 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

ORIGINAL: huntndemducks

Depends on what size body of water you fish in. Take a 10lber out of a farm pond and you just set back that pond a few years in terms of spawning. Take one out of a big reservoir and you won't see as big of difference however if everyone in said reservoir kept their big bass you would see a decline in the fishery.
Great point ih83! Size matters;):D

childers 05-13-2008 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

do they have a web site, i would not be closed minded, but if i caught that fish of a lifetime this afternoon it would be a real skin mount, like i mentioned the mouth and gill areas i have looked at have been done rather poorly, for me it would be like putting a set of polished porcelin antlers on a deer mount[:'(], but between now and when i do fianally eclipse the double digits maybe i'll run across something i like... i have turned a bunch back that i'm sure other people would have mounted or eaten[:-][:@], and i would not feel bad doing a skin mount knowing it may be my last fish to mount, i will/would honor another persons wish if i were fishing out of their boat or as a guest and the prefer not to remove the fish, then i would probably just go the replica route, and all or most of the tournaments i fish are strictly C&R, but fun fishing at this point its on the wall :D(sorry)[&o]and i will keep checking out repo's;)
i agree for the most part

DoveshooterII 05-14-2008 02:54 PM

The only fish i mounted was 7lb. 2oz., and was 2 payments of $92.50.

I had caught one 2 weeks earlier, that probably would've pushed 9lb., but my dad lost control of it at the boat and it fell back into the water, came up, shook its head ,and i heard the line go "pink" (what a horrible sound)....(i almost cried)

childers 05-14-2008 07:31 PM

that sucks. but you must have been using light crappy line

JoshKeller 05-14-2008 10:12 PM

I kept the largest bass I've caught in my life. She died in my livewell:(:(:(:(

Austin/WI 05-15-2008 05:25 AM

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

I kept the largest bass I've caught in my life. She died in my livewell:(:(:(:(

That's one big @ss fish! Let's here the story behind her!

lampy18 05-15-2008 09:12 AM

B without a doubt put it back for someone else to enjoy the thrill that you did!:D

Seif5034 05-19-2008 12:14 PM

i'd like to have a mount made but in actuality i'd prolly snap a pic and release

huntndemducks 05-19-2008 03:06 PM

great fish.........and by the way for some of the people saying that you should release most fish you catch.......theres nothing wrong with that at all mater of fact i agree with you on that but for some people that the biggest bass that they will ever catch in there live and i don't think that theres anything wrong with that.....personal preference i guess?

Chuck7 05-20-2008 02:00 AM

You..

A. Take a picture and release it.2
B. Get a fiberglass mount and release it. 8

C. You get it mounted 8
D. You eat it.1

Results so far May 20, 2008..

corndog09 05-20-2008 11:14 AM

i would get a fiberglass mount and release it

PKnTX 05-20-2008 01:21 PM

My heaviest blk bass is only 6.5 lb and it was released as quick as
1 pic could be taken. That was several years ago.
Today, depending on circumstances it would be A or D.
I fish for fun and foodand have NO problem with anyone
keeping any legal fish for mounting or eating but I have no
desire for dead animals hanging in my house. And I get a
real laugh from cries of"ruin our sport" because someone
kept a legalfish and cooked it up.

So, I choose D. I like fresh fish and a 10 pounder would
feed my whole family a nice meal.

PK