Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Time for a catch and release poll. >

Time for a catch and release poll.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Time for a catch and release poll.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Time for a catch and release poll.

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

C. i have not seen any repos that look very good[:@], especially the mouth and gills[:@], that being said i have only kept 4 bass in last 20years, i have a 6.25 smallie mounted, a 7,8, and one over 9 largemouth, so if i catch a 10 pounder it will be mounted, but if i caught a 12-15 pounder that would be mounted and i would not mount another till that mark was eclipsed, in other words it would have to be better than anything else i have caught/mounted pretty much the same as i treat bucks, but i will still shoot 115" and up deer with my bow, rifle it better be a good one, otherwise i'll eat crappie, jacks, bream, bluegill, catfish, speckled trout(sea), redfish, grouper, sewer trout (talapia),and does[:-]
Lake Fork Taxidermy does AWESOME replicas.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Austin- you are right about Largemouth. Wisconsin record is 11.3lbs. Good luck beating that record but I hope you do it!!! The state record has stood since 1940.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: JFergus7

Austin- you are right about Largemouth. Wisconsin record is 11.3lbs. Good luck beating that record but I hope you do it!!! The state record has stood since 1940.
Doubt I'll break that one anytime soon [&:] I thought the record was up there. eh oh well. I caught my largest last summer and that went around 7.5 on my scale. I was pumped but was only able to get one picture from my GF's cell phone.[:@] I released her though, so maybe this weekend....

And actually, I think the next state record will probably come out of Lake Columbia up in my neck of the woods. 18" min size req compared to 14" almost everywhere else.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

do they have a web site, i would not be closed minded, but if i caught that fish of a lifetime this afternoon it would be a real skin mount, like i mentioned the mouth and gill areas i have looked at have been done rather poorly, for me it would be like putting a set of polished porcelin antlers on a deer mount[:'(], but between now and when i do fianally eclipse the double digits maybe i'll run across something i like... i have turned a bunch back that i'm sure other people would have mounted or eaten[:-][:@], and i would not feel bad doing a skin mount knowing it may be my last fish to mount, i will/would honor another persons wish if i were fishing out of their boat or as a guest and the prefer not to remove the fish, then i would probably just go the replica route, and all or most of the tournaments i fish are strictly C&R, but fun fishing at this point its on the wall (sorry)[&o]and i will keep checking out repo's
Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 PM

10 pounder deffinently have to mount that BUT anything under that i don't think so.........one person keeping 1 bass does not hurt the future of fishing at all....BUT.....the people that go out and keep EVERY single fish they catch that the ones you gotta watch
Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

You catch your first 10 pound Largemouth bass.
You..

A. Take a picture and release it.
B. Get a fiberglass mount and release it.
C. You get it mounted
D. You eat it.
bass it's whats for "bait"
Old 05-12-2008, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: coorsdrifter1

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

You catch your first 10 pound Largemouth bass.
You..

A. Take a picture and release it.
B. Get a fiberglass mount and release it.
C. You get it mounted
D. You eat it.
bass it's whats for "bait"
I don't know where you're fishing, but if you can pitch out a 10 pounder and call it bait - I want it!
Then again, my best friend has a "dog" that is dwarfed by a couple fish I've thrown as bait....
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: huntndemducks

10 pounder deffinently have to mount that BUT anything under that i don't think so.........one person keeping 1 bass does not hurt the future of fishing at all....BUT.....the people that go out and keep EVERY single fish they catch that the ones you gotta watch
Depends on what size body of water you fish in. Take a 10lber out of a farm pond and you just set back that pond a few years in terms of spawning. Take one out of a big reservoir and you won't see as big of difference however if everyone in said reservoir kept their big bass you would see a decline in the fishery.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

ORIGINAL: huntndemducks

Depends on what size body of water you fish in. Take a 10lber out of a farm pond and you just set back that pond a few years in terms of spawning. Take one out of a big reservoir and you won't see as big of difference however if everyone in said reservoir kept their big bass you would see a decline in the fishery.
Great point ih83! Size matters
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

do they have a web site, i would not be closed minded, but if i caught that fish of a lifetime this afternoon it would be a real skin mount, like i mentioned the mouth and gill areas i have looked at have been done rather poorly, for me it would be like putting a set of polished porcelin antlers on a deer mount[:'(], but between now and when i do fianally eclipse the double digits maybe i'll run across something i like... i have turned a bunch back that i'm sure other people would have mounted or eaten[:-][:@], and i would not feel bad doing a skin mount knowing it may be my last fish to mount, i will/would honor another persons wish if i were fishing out of their boat or as a guest and the prefer not to remove the fish, then i would probably just go the replica route, and all or most of the tournaments i fish are strictly C&R, but fun fishing at this point its on the wall (sorry)[&o]and i will keep checking out repo's
i agree for the most part

Quick Reply: Time for a catch and release poll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.