Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 MY FIRST BOAT!!!! PLEASE HELP, QUICK >

MY FIRST BOAT!!!! PLEASE HELP, QUICK

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

MY FIRST BOAT!!!! PLEASE HELP, QUICK

Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default MY FIRST BOAT!!!! PLEASE HELP, QUICK

Ok gentlemen,

I'm set to buy my first boat tomorrow. My friend and I looked at it today and he has more knowledge and experience with boats than I do. But I still want to run in by you guys. Here's the deal. It's a 1979 Cajun Bass Boat with a 115 Evinrude motor. I think its either 17 or 18 feet long.The gentleman is asking $1,500.00 for it. Now I know that this isn't a new boat but its not a "new" price either. This is my first boat. I don't mind sinking a little extra dough in it to get it where it needs to be. The current owner seemed to be very up front with everything. Can youall give me your honest opinions? I know its short notice but I ran accross it today and don't want to miss a good deal. Soooo, what do you all think? Thanks guys.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: MY FIRST BOAT!!!! PLEASE HELP, QUICK

It sounds like a great deal, but check the wires on the motor for dryrot, a 1979 is a fairly old motor. The insulation on the wires could crack and peel off leaving you with alot of work and some pretty heavey exspences. The boat itself looks to be in good shape and the easy load trailer so it is probably worth the money. 115 horse engine might be a little big for you being that it is your first boat though. Either way good luck to you..
Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey johnny, here are the things that i would be the most concerned about, BTW, these are the big hitters for an "older" boat

regarding the boat check these two thing very completely, the transom and the "stringers"

if the the transom has any movement or "softness" to it run and quickly, it is a very costly repair and you do not want to have a transom failure, secondly check the stringers, they aretheinternal parts (useally wood) that run from the transom forward and are the strenghting part of the structure from front to rear,make sure there are no holes or extremely soft spots in the floor...

on the motor, if you have a compression gauge check the compression on all cylinders i would look for 90-115# or better..

if you don't feel comfortable checking these things offer to pay someone in the industry (local boat mechanic) to help, it will save you money and headaches in short order..

1500 could be a fair deal, but if you have to repair the transom, or the motor you'll easilydouble that in the boat in no time[:-][&o]would be better to pay a little more for a "solid boat" or a good tin boatthat boat may be the deal of the century, and i hope it is, but i have seen and known a lot of people that a bad purchase will turn them against all boats[:-]

last year i bought our boy a 17 foot aluminum bass tracker with a 96' model 50 horse mercury with tilt and trim at a garage sale for 400$ when the boat is finished i'll have less than 1200$ in it, and i assure you it will be a good boat, we had to replace the floor, hear are some pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/keiths487/boatpics011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/keiths487/boatpics012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/keiths487/boatpics007.jpg

there are good deals out there, make sure yours is one of them
Old 04-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Well Johnny,
Personally I want a maintenance free boat..
What kind of waters will you be fishing ? if I lived on the big "O" or fished tournys I'd have to have a nice Tracker..but for small lakes ..a simple jon will be more than enough.I live by enough small lakes where a 10- 14 ' jon is big enough and motors up to 15 HP is plenty.

I wish you well with your new boat..I would personally have to have a ride in it and see how bad it smoked , what the transome looked like when you gunned it, how easy it was to startand if it leaked. Also, check the trailor lights . That stuff can nickel and dime you to death.

c7
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

being as how your in south louisiana, i'd be concerned about corrosion on the trailer and motor as well.