Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Good shallow water lure >

Good shallow water lure

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Good shallow water lure

Old 04-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Good shallow water lure

Anybody fish shallow water. If so what would be your lure of choice for bass in say 2-3 feet of water. The reason I ask is because the lake that I fish in frequently has schools of bass feeding right by the bank. I can literally see them. I've tried spinnerbait and rubber worm but nothings working. Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good shallow water lure

We used to use a frog lure. Actually throw it on top of a lilly pad or on the bank and jerk it into the water. The bass would hit it as it hit the water. In heavy lily pads it was fun to see a bass come blasting out of the water through the pads and hit the lure. I've even had them hit the pad before I could get the lure into the water thinking it was a frog and trying to knock it into the water. I also used to use a little grasshopper lure which seems to work really well.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

my absolute 2 favorite lures are the Little George in 1/4 oz hammered chrome.
or
Zoom Trickworm

the little george will not let you down. even in the winter they were hitting it like a 10 year old kid wants candy
Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM

If you can see them it means they can see the lure very well. My advice is throw in a clear tube w/ fleck with one small split shot rigged with a small wide gap worm hook. Lead them a few feet on your casts. Noisy lures aren't very effective in clear water.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

If you can see them it means they can see the lure very well. My advice is throw in a clear tube w/ fleck with one small split shot rigged with a small wide gap worm hook. Lead them a few feet on your casts. Noisy lures aren't very effective in clear water.
I agree with this. Light color jig and plastic combos might be the best bet. A favorite of mine has always been a 3 or 4 inch white Berkely Powergrub with a light jighead in pink or lightgreen colors. Also, I've had good luck with white Storm Wildeye Shad swimbaits. I've used them for both smallies and largemouths and had good luck with them with clear to slightly stained water.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes they can be pretty picky and you have to be carefull of them. Like said before a rubber frog popping along the pads can work some of the
time or a rubber mouse just popping slowly along the top. Sometimes you have to resort to a sinking lure dragged close to the bottom and in clear water I have the best luck with something copper or brass colored. Dark or murky water silver appears to work the best.. Mepps minnow maybe what you might want to try..Good luck..
Old 04-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can see them it means they can see the lure very well. My advice is throw in a clear tube w/ fleck with one small split shot rigged with a small wide gap worm hook
small translucent lures, a 3" tube would be a great starting point, also try little critter craws. downsize baits and low vis line

also you mentioned the fish were "schooling" in shallow water like that my first thought would be that they had "cornered" a school of baitfish and were feeding heavy, if that were they case they should eat just about anything[&:], i have had bass run a school of baitfish up a point like that and i caught fish for 45 minutes on just about every lure i had tied on, when the feeding frenzy was over that was it[:@]
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

If you can see them it means they can see the lure very well. My advice is throw in a clear tube w/ fleck with one small split shot rigged with a small wide gap worm hook
small translucent lures, a 3" tube would be a great starting point, also try little critter craws. downsize baits and low vis line

also you mentioned the fish were "schooling" in shallow water like that my first thought would be that they had "cornered" a school of baitfish and were feeding heavy, if that were they case they should eat just about anything[&:], i have had bass run a school of baitfish up a point like that and i caught fish for 45 minutes on just about every lure i had tied on, when the feeding frenzy was over that was it[:@]
That's what I was thinking. I mean the I could see shad/minnows literally jumping out of the water and the bass were tearing them up. It happens like this periodically in the lake that I fish. But I just haven't had much luck catching them. I've tried spinnerbait, rubber worm, a lead jig w/crawfish as a trailer, topwater popper, and the frog. Nothings worked so far. I'll change my line to a lighter one and use some smaller baits. Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

also a 1/4 oz - 3/8 oz white spinnerbait with a brass hammered blade.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM

buzzbaits are awsome

Quick Reply: Good shallow water lure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.