Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Outboard problems .

Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Outboard problems .

I was preping the boat today . Late in the season last year I got a freebie 9hp SeaKing . It will fire up with no problem . But "boggs out" at full throttle . The carb is clean , the gas is new , the plugs are new . It seems if I play with the choke ,, then it will give full power . Do you have any suggestions for better runing performance ? I'm carberator illeterate , is there somthing I should be trying ? Thanks for any info .
Old 04-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Outboard problems .

It sounds as if your float is sticking on it, or possibly you need to replace the small needle and seat that sits on top of the float. That needle normally has a small rubber cone that is on top of it. They wear out after a while and require replacement. Some motors have no float bowl so then it goes back to needle valves or diaphrams good luck with it.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Another thing to check is the gas tank and primer bulb. Make sure the bulb isn't collapsing due to an air leak. If the gas tank is built into the boat it will have an anti siphon valve that could be malfunctioning too. Chances are you are using a 6 gal portable tank and a simple test is just switch it out with the hoses with another borrowed from a friend.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

vaccum fuel pump, completely rebuild the carbs using new parts, and redo all the gas lines/primer bulb/filters.