Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 best fishing line for bluegill, catfish, bass, and carp? >

best fishing line for bluegill, catfish, bass, and carp?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

best fishing line for bluegill, catfish, bass, and carp?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Default RE: best fishing line for bluegill, catfish, bass, and carp?

would this work?
having someone pull all my line out to the know i tied and put tension on it then my reel it back in?
Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 PM

yeah there is a lot of twist
Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 PM

You want the line all of the line out first. The tension can be done with your non-reeling hand. This allows the rest of the line to freely rotate and untwist as you reel it in. Line twist problem solved!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 AM

i really dont understand what you are saying
Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 AM
F3d
Banned

i really dont understand what you are saying
Open the bail as if you were going to cast, hold part of the rod with one hand, and then pull the line out from the tip of the pole with the other hand. It's as simple as that. After it's all out, it doesn't matter if it's a big heap of line. Never tangles into a knot (unless it's really bad I guess it would) when I start reeling it back in. You can reel it in by yourself just by putting the rod close to you and grabbing the line at the front while reeling in with the other hand. You could also move away from the heap of line and use something to weigh down some of the untwisted line to give ya the tension while you reel it in. Of course though, you could do it with two people which it seems you already did.

As for the best line, try Power Pro or Spiderwire Ultracast (cost more but it has gotten good reviews). They also came out with an invisible braid but it's white like Fireline Crystal. I wonder how deep it has to go to become clear. If ya don't want braid, try Tectan Premium Plus (cheap and very strong mono) or Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

Tectan Premium Plus 15.8 1bs .0110 diameter
Yo-Zuri Hybrid 15 Ibs .0160 diameter

Btw, you have too much line on the spool. Also do you use the lightest pound test recommended for the rod (it goes by mono diameter)? If ya don't, it always cast farther when using the lightest pound test. If you're using lines stronger than mono, then get the pound test that's equal in diameter to the lightest mono the rod recommends.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 AM

all right thank il try that
Old 03-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried that same line in 6 pound test for my perch ice rods this winter and had the same issue. It doesn't appear to be as limp as the Trilene I always use. I took it off and went back to the Trilene without any problems.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:17 PM
F3d
Banned

I tried that same line in 6 pound test for my perch ice rods this winter and had the same issue. It doesn't appear to be as limp as the Trilene I always use. I took it off and went back to the Trilene without any problems.
I don't see how that's the problem, but I respect your view. I agree that it ain't the limpest and not the best line, but I've had the cheapest of the cheap and that stuff doesn't happen. There's only two ways it can get twisted:

1. Too much line (causes more of #2 and birdnests)
2. Reeling the line in when there's no tension. If ya watch while reeling, you can always stop it, but no one likes doing that.

If it's falling out of the spool, that means there's too much. Since there's too much, you're more prone to reeling in the line when there's little or no tension, and it'll end up stuck on the spool twisted. Once the excess line is taken off, you'll have little or should have no problems getting twists anymore. There should be no problem having loops come off the spool. Of course, mossbergman11 doesn't want to take too much off because it'll sacrifice some casting distance.

I'd say get better line than suffix elite though. Tectan Premium Plus or braid works wonders.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sufix for mono and Power Pro for braid
Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: F3d

I don't see how that's the problem, but I respect your view. I agree that it ain't the limpest and not the best line, but I've had the cheapest of the cheap and that stuff doesn't happen. There's only two ways it can get twisted:

1. Too much line (causes more of #2 and birdnests)
2. Reeling the line in when there's no tension. If ya watch while reeling, you can always stop it, but no one likes doing that.

If it's falling out of the spool, that means there's too much. Since there's too much, you're more prone to reeling in the line when there's little or no tension, and it'll end up stuck on the spool twisted. Once the excess line is taken off, you'll have little or should have no problems getting twists anymore. There should be no problem having loops come off the spool. Of course, mossbergman11 doesn't want to take too much off because it'll sacrifice some casting distance.

I'd say get better line than suffix elite though. Tectan Premium Plus or braid works wonders.
You also get line twist by not properly loading the line in the first place as well as reeling in while drag is being taken.I would say those 2 are very common reasons.

Quick Reply: best fishing line for bluegill, catfish, bass, and carp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.