Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Sauger

Old 02-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sauger

What is the best way to fish for Sauger below a dam? What is the best lure made for catching Sauger? Where can I find the lure? Very cold temps - have 40-60 foot of water to work with - any advice?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sauger

Use whatever you would use for walleyes.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Hi! I see that you are from KY, so are you going to be fishing the Ohio River? I fish for sauger on the Ohio and am usually fishing down there every weekend.(except this year the weather has been wrong or the river has been screwed up) I usually use a leadhead jig 1/4 oz. and a 2 inch curly tail grub. It depends on the water clarity but the 3 main colors are chartreuse (sp?), PEARL (not white), and a hot orange color. I get these at the boat shows in bulk and they seem to work the best. Take and rig the jighead up with the grub and then tip it with a minnow. A small bass minnow or big crappie minnow works best. Hook it right through the meaty part of the head. Sometimes if the fish are aggressive enough they will hit a jigging spoon. You don' t need to be fishing in 40-60 feet of water but sometimes they will move out that deep. I go to Markland Dam and fish right up against the gates (when possible with the current) and am fishing in about 15-25 feet of water, against any possible current. If you have any more questions just ask me!!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:05 PM

Yes,1/4 oz jigs 3 1/2 in white,yellow ,pink or char.grubs and the same color bucktail or marabou jigs.