Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

trout rods and reels

Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Default trout rods and reels

I need to buy a good rod and reeel for the up coming trout season. any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trout rods and reels

Fly rod or spin casting???????What species are you targeting?????? Type of water?????? location???? etc??????
Old 02-16-2008, 05:04 PM

Im looking for a spin casting reel for trout in pensylvannia. I usually fish creeks.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Open or closed face? I normally use a closed face reel and for starters a Zebco 33 would do the trick as they can last pretty decent and you can walk down through the thick areas of woods with out getting a mess of fur or pine needles all through it. For a rod any thing that is ultra light is what I preffer.. Good Luck..
Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

g loomis or the berkely cherry wood i like them a lot. the cherrywood has a wierd guide layout i think but its good. but nothing beats g loomis
Old 03-06-2008, 04:08 PM

Ugly Stick is the way to go for a fishing rod.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ugly Stik and mitchell reels, ya cant beat them and they are easy to get from Wally world!!

IMO stay away far far away from quantum poles...they seem very sensitive and they definantely are, the reels on the the other hand are nice!!

But honestly if you are just getting into it and do not want to spend a lot of money, I and others have got thousands of trout on ur basic cheap shakespeare combos!!( I still tend to buy one every year, because they are so cheap and always come in handy)!! Good Luck!!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM

All brands named are great brands, but another thing you should take into consideration is the length of rod, with creeks you dont have to have a long rod cause you wont be casting very far, ive found that a 4ft rod is the perfect length.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: troutslayer

All brands named are great brands, but another thing you should take into consideration is the length of rod, with creeks you dont have to have a long rod cause you wont be casting very far, ive found that a 4ft rod is the perfect length.

Troutslayer that is true. A 4ft to5ft rod is nice formost creeks and is mobile enough to be convenient, BUT IMO a longer rod 6ft 6'' and above tend to be more sensitive in bait fishing for trout! It all really depends on what you plan on doing mostly? Which is where a 5ft to 6ft rod comes in handy a lil bit of both worlds.

Me myself I actuallytake many poles along with me but prefer a 4ft 6'' pole for spinner and artificial fishing and I actually prefer a long fly rod for bait fishing.

Im sorry if I am confusing you, it really does boil down to what feels good to you kinda like buying a bow thats fits ya!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ohhh and while were at it, when you buy line stay below 6lb for trout. Well unless you going after some serious brutes!

Once again myself I use 2lb for bait and 4lb for spinner fishing mainly because I want that extra security if i get snagged with a $2-3 spinner that I can get it back! I dont have to worry about any of my pansy a#$ MD trout breaking 2lb line!! Im not sure what part of Pa you are fishing but I would say that 2-4lb would be just fine there as well!!

WOW can you tell its getting closed to trout season the way I am rambling on!! Haha[:-]

Quick Reply: trout rods and reels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.