Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 vexlair or under water camera >

vexlair or under water camera

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

vexlair or under water camera

Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Default vexlair or under water camera

Just looking for some different opinons on what is better to use for ice fishing. I have a marcum 500 underwater camera and think its ok but sometimes seems to make the fish leary to bite. Has anyone had alout of expirence useing both and if so what is your preferance.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: vexlair or under water camera

I fish a lot through the ice but don't have a camera. Of all the cameras I have seen used I like the Marcum best. To be honest I think it is nice to be able to look down there but most of the time I can tell if anything is down there without a camera. You can only take so much stuff out there and I would rather take up the space with extra buckets.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been using AQUA View and I love it.. the only problem it will not make the fish bite!!LOLI do enjoy watching what comes up looking at my hook though.. I like the idea of teasing the fish into biting, light a whitefish swiming up and just looking only to swim away.. I got to notice how they like to have thier bait presented. I noticed on whitefish that if I was to drop down so that the bait just touches the bottom WHAM fish on. IfI kept it up off bottom I may get one to bite if I was lucky. So to me I enjoy using the underwater camera and the fish do not seem to mind none either. Once I watch a lake trout come up and look the bait all over but wouldn't touch it.. He kept coming back and just looking and nosing it over but no bites. On one of his trips backI decided to bring the bait up rather quickly and again WHAM fish on.I find it a great tool even just to see them swim up and look the bait over even if it was no bites as it lets me know they are there..
Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a vexilar and use it everyday. Very light weight and very easy to use. Like Phil said though, it doesn't make the fish bite, but you can always find them.

I live on a lake with with spooky panfish and the fish don't like the camera on the cameras.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 PM

I agree the vexlair is a little more portable. I hate to bring to much of a load out with me especialy in the early season when I sometimes walk along way. The worst part about haveing the camera is once night fall hits its worthless. I have lights on mine but that realy seems to scare fish away.