HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   snagging (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/227719-snagging.html)

philip_grubaugh 01-17-2008 01:07 PM

snagging

does anyone here snag. i love to snag paddlefish they eat good to. my biggest is 82" and i have caught several 50s and 60s does anyone else like snagging and is getting excited for it to open up. here in missouri it opens up on march 15th

Champlain Islander 01-17-2008 03:41 PM

RE: snagging

Most locations consider snagging to be an illegalmethod of taking fish. It would be hard for me personally to get excited about it since it is something I try to avaid when steal head fishing. On the rare ocasion when I foul hook a fish I quickly release it or cut the line.

childers 01-17-2008 05:52 PM

i dont like it. there is not point of hurting the animals vital organs if you arent gunna eat it. just my opinion

indianahunter83 01-17-2008 05:58 PM

Snagging paddlefish is about the only way you catch them. I occasionally go out and snag grass carp. (I usually try and flyfish for them when the mullberries are dropping) and that can be a blast. As far as hitting vital organs with grass carp it is sight fishing and you only get flesh 99.9% of the time. I once read an article in field and stream about snagging paddlefish and it looked like an absolute blast. Don't think I would ever eat one though.

buckhunter14 01-18-2008 08:12 AM

What is a paddlefish?

Anyhow, snagging is illegal in Michigan for any species of fish. And in the trout/steelhead/salmon waters you can get tickted for having to large of a hook. (generally used to snagging)

sandilands 01-18-2008 09:22 AM

snaggin illegal in MB canada

Chuck7 01-18-2008 10:26 AM

Yes sir...I don't anymore
BUT use to snatch catch shad in Washington D.C. I ate what I caught.
I've also snatched tilapia. After snatching a few bass by accident..a couple.I quit snatch fishing. I found a lure that tilapia will hit..They are pretty much vegetarians but I found they will hit a tinyPanther-Martin
trolling slowly.;)

philip_grubaugh 01-18-2008 12:44 PM

paddle fish is a fish that it eats by filtering stuff out of the water. the only way to catch them is to snag them. they get real big too. yea here in missouri and i think in oklahoma you can only snag and legally keep nongame fish. anything else that gets snagged like bass or catfish has to be put backunharmed.

thats a paddlefish it is the missouri state record and weighed almost 140lbs. now you know what one looks like. there is only a month and half long season on them here in missouri.

indianahunter83 01-18-2008 01:25 PM

Also called a spoonbilled catfish.

philip_grubaugh 01-21-2008 09:01 PM

i aint ever heard it called a spoonbill catfish but i have heard it called a spoonbill and a paddlefish and a spooner