Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Make Your Own Ice House >

Make Your Own Ice House

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Make Your Own Ice House

Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Make Your Own Ice House

Just wondering if anyone has good plans for building your own portable ice house.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Make Your Own Ice House

Ok, here's the plans.

1) Take a Left out of the drive way
2) 3 Miles to town
3) Right on Main Street
4) Bass Pro Shop on left
5) Buy brand new

Just kidding, but in all seriousness I have never made one. We don't have the weather to need one except once in a while and I just tough it out then. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: Make Your Own Ice House

My dad made one that hold 3 guys plus a heater.
He started with a 3/4" plywood base, just a large sheet, the usuall 4X8'.
He ripped 2 2x4" boards in half, angled them and used some steel to use as runners. I think we had 4 holes cut into the floor about 8" in diameter.
on each narrow end, he had a plywood sheet on hinges so it would fold inwards to the base. it was 4'x5' and then tapered up into an A after the 5 foot mark. in between each was 2 layers of tarp to use as the roof and the long walls. a 2x4 was used as the beam for the roof at the peak, held in place by some framing hangers, along with another 2 2x4s on each side at the 5 foot height, these 3 boards held up the roof/walls and were taken out to allow the entire hut to fold down. one of the ends had a hinged door built.
This little hut works well, and was pulled easily by the 4 wheeler and was sturdy, providing you put the narrow end into the wind on windy days.