Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Salmon fishing, NY

Old 08-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Salmon fishing, NY

anyone heading up to Pulaski, Ny for some salmon fishing this year? Has anyone in the past? I just started 3 years ago and I love it. We'll I'm looking to hear from all of you experts and share a few tips (or steal some of yours) and maybe meet up on the river.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Salmon fishing, NY

Gergie- I went to pulaski about 5 yrs ago and had an absolute blast. Caught two salmon dont remember the size and such because its been so long I have pics but they are 35mm! I was up there for a week and the first two days couldnt "snag" nothing but I had an old timer local come up to me and take my fishing pole and said all u need to do is this and he hooked into one(I WAS SIMPLY AMAZED) that fish got off but I did end up hooking into some more and landed two!

I cant seem to gather any buddies up to go they just cant see the fun in "snagging fish" but I know that there is much more to it and they are hard headed!

I will definantely be making a trip soon in the future do you know of any good campgrounds-parks to stay at? Where do you stay?

Man why did you have to bring it up now im all pumped ready to go!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Western,
You must of been up there at least 5 yrs ago. There is no more snagging
allowed on Salmon River. We use different sorts of flies to piss off the salmon into bitting. It's alot of work, but when they ae running your arms will fall off from all of the action. You should check out Whitaker.com
or Douglastonsalmonrun.com I have stayed at both places and they are excellent. Let me know if you are going.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pm sent to ya gergie
Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Spike

I am going up next week. What are you guys using for poles and reels? thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

ill be up next weekend for 4 days starting the 8th of oct
Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Spike

this we be my first time going up there. What are you guysusing for rod and reel's and line? noodle rod how long?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I haven't been in quite some time but practically lived there during the 80's when the area was wide open. Back then there were only a few places to stay in town and most of us stayed in the Log Cabin Hotel which had a restaurant. Douglaston run wasn't named yet and was free to fish providing you were willing to cross the field and go down that bank. The Black Hole from the Coho St side near the chit plant was another good place to get a few on. The area near the park and interstate was better for steelhead than salmon. We used to do really well at the short bridge and the high bridge pools and the top section all the way up to the schoolhouse pool. I got to fish the upper river from near schoolhouse to a bridge where we got out in a drift boat once. That was a blast and we were into fish all day that you couldn’t wade for. Back then you could sell the eggs so we kept lots of hen fish and sold the eggs to pay for our gas. My best day was near Douglaston in a place called Josh hole when I had on over 100 fish on a Saturday. I found it by fishing a run right in the middle of Douglaston just after daybreak and took the fish all the way down to the island. I beached the King on the south side and looked over the island and could see nothing but fish. I was using a 9 foot Lamiglass 8 weight fly rod with a Martin 72 reel and tipped with8 pound test Snagging was allowed then but all of our crowd angled fairly for them and if a fish was foul hooked we broke it off. We used brightly colored flys or spawn sacks and the fish that were fresh in the river would hit them when in the mood. The funny part about it was that I was back there the next day at dawn and the pool was empty. They all moved up and we fished until around noon and only caught a few...then drove home. I live about 4 1/2 hours away and have fished that river and some of the smaller tribs well over a hundred times. Most of our fishing was actually for steelhead during the winter and early spring. I couldn't take too many days of the Salmon fishing because it was too much...which may sound strange but for those who have had great days there you will know what I mean. I was working then and steelhead fishing took up most of my weekends all winter long. Then a friend introduced me to pan fishing around 1990 through the ice and that was the end of the salmon river for me. Talk about an addiction.......can't wait for ice in on Champlain.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM

I'll be heading up Sun morning early for 8 days. Hope to be fishing in 48 hours from now.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:58 AM

had great luck, here's my biggest king....

Quick Reply: Salmon fishing, NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.