Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 how do you handle a catfish without getting poked? >

how do you handle a catfish without getting poked?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

how do you handle a catfish without getting poked?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 AM

Default how do you handle a catfish without getting poked?

Any tips, tricks? I want to start fishing, but don't feel like getting barbed. Is it true the sharp barbs can go right through gloves, shoes or boots?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: how do you handle a catfish without getting poked?

I handle alot of catfish..by accident though .I would only catfish if I was starving..They taste strong from our lakes. I always barehand them and have not been stuck in years. When the fish has it's 2 barbs sticking straight out..I slowly firmly put the thumb and middle finger of my left hand snug right up against and behind those side barbs. At the same time I hook my left index finger around the in the front of the left barb..

You basically just need to keep away from the points on the end of the barbs. The U part of your left hand is snuggly against the top barb which is standing staight up. Most catfish are difficult to unhook because the mouth are thick gummpy tissue. The hooks dig in but difficult to pull out backwards..there fore; keep a pair of needlenose handy.. Grab the hook close to the bend and pull out backwards. now..Either put him on a stringer or quickly push him toward the lake opening up all 5 fingers at once. I haven't been stuck in years.
Remember ..the barbs are hinged and can only move 45 degrees.one way. You are simply using your hand to lock those barbs firmly as far as they will go while you unhook him.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Depends... are you eating said catfish? If you are then take a bilyl club, whack it on the top of the head and unhook it. If not then do it like Chuck.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 PM

A friend and I were cleaning catfish about 1 am one spring morning. We had been running a trotline on a local river and catching channels and flatheads on crawdads. He had a hold of about a 2 pound channel when it flipped and drove a barbed fin all the way through his finger. We could not back the fin out because of the barbs. After a little thinking I took a pair of side cut pliers and cut the fin off the fish. Then took a regular pair of pliers and pulled the fin on through his finger. Then he went in the house and cleaned it up good. It was sore but no infection.

I always held them just like Chuck said. Also one trick is that if you do get bit by a barb fin, it will sting. Rub the spot you got bit on the catfish's belly. That will make it feel better.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chiefks

Also one trick is that if you do get bit by a barb fin, it will sting. Rub the spot you got bit on the catfish's belly. That will make it feel better.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

if i can see the hook, and its under 10 lbs, i grab it by the lower lip just like a bass. they will clamp down sometimes, but its better than getting stuck.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been stuck before and it's no fun. Handle them like Chuck said and you will have no problems, never been poked by one since my kid days.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

ORIGINAL: chiefks

Also one trick is that if you do get bit by a barb fin, it will sting. Rub the spot you got bit on the catfish's belly. That will make it feel better.
This actually works. They produce their own (anti-venom) or what ever it is, to counteract their poison. It secretes from or around the vent. The stinging will go away shortly after rubbing some of that slime on the wound.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

grab it under the gills or lip it they cant hurt you with there mouth. The might chew a little bit but youll live
Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 AM

Thank you all. What about one of those lip grips by Berkley, anyone use those?

Quick Reply: how do you handle a catfish without getting poked?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.