Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catching Catfish

Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Catching Catfish

I go to a campground on weekends and found out there are alot of catfish in a pond there. Everyone fishes for the Bass there but i was told there are some decent sized catfish in there for the size of the pond. Ive never tryed to catch catfish so my question is what kind of bait andwhat hooks? What rod should i use. I have everything from Ultra Light to Tuna rods woth 100+ pound line on them. They say the fish are between 24 and 40 inches.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 AM

Default RE: Catching Catfish

You could easily catch a 40 inch catfish on a bass rod. Well not easily but it would make for a fun fight. Anything from 14-20lb line would be fine... less if you want to be sporting. As far as bait goes it all depends on the type of catfish. Flatheads like live bait while Channels will eat pretty much anything. I don't have much experience with Blues but from what I have read they like cut bait (put me in my place if someone knows better!) As far as fishing technique I have usually just fished it on the bottom with an egg sinker basically carolina rigged but also have had luck with big slip floats and drifting the bait about a foot off of the bottom.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM

I have a couple medium action rods that have 12 or 14 pound line on them. I use them for small blues when we go out on the boat. They are rigged with an 1/2 or 1 oz egg sinker and a snap swivel. If i make up some rigs for catfish would this be a good setup? What kind of hook should i use and what size? Can i make the leaders out of regular line or should i use Flouro Carbon? Should i use heavier line for the leader or will the same size line work?Im not sure of the type of catfish they are but they catch them ocasionally on night crawlers and ocassionally they have been seen going after smaller sunfish(4 to 6 in)in the swimming area. Im sorry for all the questions and thanksto anyone who helps.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Personally when I fish for catfish I use circle hooks just because I am using real bait and don't want to gut hook any of them as I don't eat them. I like to use hooks 1/0 and up depending on the size of bait I am using. As far as a leader goes I always make my leader less of a pound test than my actual line because should you get snagged then you only lose the hook and not the whole thing. Regular line should be fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 AM

OK thanks. Ive never used circle hooks but have herd of them. Its catch and release only there so i will have to give them a try.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 PM

If you decide to use a circle hook remember that you don't set the hook. If you just pull with steady increasing pressure the hook will set itself. Also with a circle hook you can give an extra few seconds for the cat to take the bait!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

For pond catfish I prefer to use some sort of pre-made dip bait. The treble hook that is required for thesemakeit tough for catch and release.

It seems I dont have very good luck with shad in smaller ponds where they aren't found. However they do still bite and you probably will catch some with it or any other type of baitfish for that matter. Circle hooks are very good for keeping the fish healthy and they keep the bait on good.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 PM

I went and got one of my extra rod and went to Dick's and got 12 pound line for it. I also got 8 pound line to make leaders with. I rigged it with a 1/2oz egg weight and a swivel on the 12 pound line. Then about 2-3 feet of 8 pound line and a size 4 circle hook on the end. Dose this soundlike a good rig? Im going to try Nightcrawlers some and i can also get fresh bait earlier in the day when i take my nephew out for sunnys. What size sunnys should i use? Should i use them whole or cut? Thanks for everyones input so far.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 PM

Try them both ways and let the catfish tell you which they like best!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

like indiana says the bait depends on the species...since you say pond and are in PA i bet they are channel cats.

for channels my favorite has always been raw chicken liver. never had luck with store bought baits..also nightcrawlers usually work..and last year i started using creek chubs and big creek minnows that were dead.

i personally use Kahle hooks for all my catfishing. im a big time hook setter. i couldnt get circles to work because id always set the hook...its too hard for me NOT to set the hook. kahles work either way...funky shaped hook...but my hook up ratio went from 1 every once in a while missing 100 others with big J hooks to rarely ever missing any since i went to Kahles. make sure you sharpen them...even new. you gotta drive it through alot of flesh and meat thats tough stuff...walmart here usually has 1/0 Kahle hooks that will work well for you...ive caught upto 40 inch flatheads on them.

rods and reels...thats upto you...i get away with 8lb main line and 20lb big game leader on my small rod...caught this flathead on them(im 5' 10" 225..just so you dont think im just a small guy)...not the biggest...but a half decint one...was a blast on that setup...just gotta set the drag right...the bigger ones will take runs like no other fish in PA.

catfishing is a blast...nothing beats a night on the river catfishin!!

this is my biggest so far...he should get you excited...again...not the biggest...but compare him to the full legnth brick right behind him..thats a flathead as well. they get bigger than channels and i find big flatheads easier than big channels..good luck! post some pics when your back!

Quick Reply: Catching Catfish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.