Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bass.....Why?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bass.....Why?

Is this the only fish you all fish?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bass.....Why?

Depending on the lake, conditions and who I am fishing with I could be fishing for a number of different species. When I take my daughters with me I usually fish for crappie since the girls like to bobber fish and stay in one spot. I also like to spend some time fishing for northern & walleye's. But I would have to say that bass are my favorite!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:34 PM

Heck no i for one have never fished for bass but when i watch fishing shows that is all they ever fish for and im sick of them and i have never caught them but i cant really judge till i get one and yes i do want to get one but my main target fish is trout then walleye, then pike , then every thing else is pretty well equal
Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lethal...Largemouth bass are decent but not overly impressive fighters...I would rate them like a walleye that JUMPS fairly often... Smallmouth bass, on the other hand are verytough customers...Pound for pound they rate right up with rainbow trout and landlocked salmon, IMHO, and they like to jump...

I don't fish for bass exclusively.... Probably I spend the MOST time fishing for lake trout, because we have excellent lake trout fishing locally here in NY's Finger Lakes....

I probably spend an equal amount of time fishing for bass as I do fishing for various panfish species, usually bluegills and yellow perch... The panfish are my favorite fish to eat..

After that, stream trout fishing, mostly for browns but some brookies, rainbowsand steelheads...

After that, walleye and northerns...I'd fish more for these species but there are not a lot of good walleye and pike waters near my home...

Bringing up the rear...Rough fish like carp and bullheads...

Old 04-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

There isnt a bass out there that will compare with a Laker out of 70 ft. of water through the ice. Or a 40-50" Pike/Musky in 4 ft of water. I have caught Bass most by accident and I just see what the hipe is.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like fishing for wild native brookies and landlock salmon early in the year. I live next to the St. Croix River here and it has great fishing for white perch, landlock salmon, and smallmouth bass. It is well known with the guides here for it's smallmouth fishing however we do catch a few atlantics as well. For the best fighting fish I've ever caught it would have to be the atlantic by a long shot. Repeatedly jumping out of the water and caught mostly in the fast water on a fly rod. I also enjoy fishing for lake trout over to West Grand which quite peacefull fishing and alot of fun.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

True...Bass don't get as big as lakers or northerns, but pound for pound I'd put a smallmouth up against either one and day... Tie a 3 lb laker or a 3 pound pike tail to tail with a 3 lb. smallmouth, and the smallmouth will pull the trout or the pike around backward until it's scales fall off, and then jump 3 times just for kicks...

A lot of the appeal comes with catching fish on tackle that allows them to perform... A 2 -4 lb, smallmouth on UL gear and light line is a handfull.. Comparative to catching a 10 or 12 pound pike or laker on heavier gear and 10 pound test....Same comparison can be made with many other fish...A 12-14 " stream trout isn't that impressive on medium spinning gear, but catch it on a fly rod with 1 or 2 pound test leader tippet and a tiny hook andyou have a different game altogether...

Old 04-20-2007, 07:06 AM

I have caught Bass most by accident and I just see what the hipe is.
There is a difference between catching the occasional bass and catching the 5+ lber. Also watching a bass hit a topwater lure can be damn exciting!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Is this the only fish you all fish?
Absolutely, I didn't know there was anything else. All kidding aside. I will very rarely fish for crappie just to get a mess to fry. I also tried ice fishing for the first timethis year and while it was pretty fun, by NO means did it beat sitting on the lake in my SKEETER on a warm spring evening and watching a 5lb bass bust to the surface and inhale a buzzbait.Just my .02. To each his own. I was born and bred a bass fisherman. And no other kind of fishing will ever give me the enjoyment and gratification that bass fishing does.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 AM

That's not the only thing I'll fish for, But it's the most fun out of what we have here. Certain times of the year getting into a bunch of crappie is a load of fun. Sometimes lounging around and tying into some cats is a good time, that and you can set your pole down and concentrate on the beer.

But if I want to get in 'serious' mode, I'm fishing for bass.

Quick Reply: Bass.....Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.