Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 crawfish in wisconsin >

crawfish in wisconsin

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

crawfish in wisconsin

Old 03-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: crawfish in wisconsin

Here we get a lot of eels that come in with meat, but they can be good striper fishing with if they are small enough.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:07 PM

I don't think you can buy them many places in wisconsin either...haven't really looked to hard though i guess. As far as the traps are concerned, we were probably gonna put them in small rivers. Where is a good place to place them in the stream, and what type of structure should we look for?? I shoot alot of carp so do you think carp heads would be a decent bait?? Is it worth trying to catch any this time of the year or is it too cold??? its about 45 degrees out during the day and all the snow is melting.
A easy way to find crayfish is look for there above water burrows. Find those and then bait the nearest water with any appreciable hiding cover in it and you should catch some. I don't know about in wisconsin but down here in Indiana I have caught some crayfish that look like miniature lobsters!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

just find a rocky area and put a bait trap in it and then youll bde good to go with bait in it
Old 03-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy the traps from cabelas
Old 03-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Before I retired from the Sheriff Dept., the jail I worked at had 3 large any very long retension ponds around it. For some reason, a special time of the year, they would come out from the ponds and the road on front of the jail and parking lots would have 1,000's of them on it.

Some of us would go around picking them up in a 5gal bucket. We could fill the bucket in less than 10 mins. Sometimes we would pool all the buckets together and have a Craw Daddy cook out on the week end at the park! I'm talking about over 60-70gals (12-15 5galbuckets).
Old 03-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

and walmart for 4 bucks
ORIGINAL: rankbull

You can buy the traps from cabelas
Old 03-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I made a trap for them out of 3/8 wire mesh. It was about 3 feet long and round like a bait trap with a funnel on each end. I could only catch a few though. I think the most I caught in it was about 6 at one time. I need to try different bait and see what happens. I also was catching some good size bait fish with though.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:53 PM

i appreciate all the help guys. Two buddies and I put out 8 minnow traps baited with chicken livers or canned dog food last night in a small river by campus and didn't catch a single crayfish. We got plenty of minnows though. We know there are crayfish in there because we saw a few when setting the traps. Are they just not active enough because it is too cold here in southern wisconsin??? Is there problems with the bait?? we put the chicken livers in a section of pantyhose tied up in the trap and just hung the perforated dogfood cansin there. we tried to put the traps in rocky areas and areas with submerged brush. Any help would be greatly appreciated...i'm gettin anxious to see what these things taste like!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Be careful Phil and check you state regs on trapping minnows and CF. There are some states that closely regulate the size and opening of the traps.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks C I they have came out with a new law this year on getting a permit to transport bait here but getting one is easy to do. I think it is more of a money thing but it doesn't cost to much anyhow.