Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

What do you need...

Old 01-02-2007, 09:23 AM

Default What do you need...

...To ice fish walleye, perch and pike? Thanks for the help! Also techniques?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do you need...

I've always used tip-ups and large chubs and suckers for pike through the ice. Perch was little jigs,mousies and long lines. Don't know about the walleye, but i'd guesss the tip-up with a smaller minnow would work.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Grubs on miniscule hooks and minnows under a bobber for perch. For northerns either jig with a shiner or chub or use a tip-up with a minnow equal to or larger than a shiner. Also possibly use a wind jigging tip-up with a dead bait. Size of minnows depends on how aggresively the fish are feeding. For walleyes put a shiner underneath a tip-up or jig with chubs. A minnow head or fish eye on a jigging rapala or jigging spoon also works well. Fish eyes are illegal in some states like minnesota.

For more information buy In-fisherman Ice fishing secrets 1 and 2. Secrets 1 is more helpful but 2 has some more in depth information.

As for equipment you will want a method for cutting ice, a fish house portables are the best, light action rods with 2-6 lb. test for perch, medium action rods with 8-12 lb. test for walleyes, medium heavy action rod for pike with 14-20 lb test for pike. Tip ups with tip up line and a steal leader. Use a quick strike rig for dead baits on the jigging tip ups and a single hook for live bait on the stationary tip ups.

A flasher depthfinder is a nice thing but not necessary. The Vexlar FL-8 is my favorite many offer fancy stuff that you don't need.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks for helping guys!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

very welcome
Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Ok heres a list of stuff I'd need thanks from help of you guys.

2-man ice fishing shelter
float coat and bibs
2hp auger
2 5oz pales to store tackle
12 lb rod for 'eyes
14 lb rod for notherns
jigs
spoons
cb radio
sled haul stuff

Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure what kind of perch you are fishing for? But, for white perch tip-ups, line, hooks, sinkers, a bucket with some small live bait in it. The ice shack is a plus along with an auger and if the water is clear enough one of those under water cameras so you can watch the fish below.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with all the above give the fish what they want. for big pick use the quick set rigs like mentioned above but I lkie the big 8'' to 12'' sucker minnows. Walleyes use a swedish pimple or similar jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head on active fish, if the fish are slower I like a golden shiner hung under a bobber or tip up. now for perch they eat anything, just about. I prefer to use as light of line as possible 2-4 on perch 4-6 on walleyes but the pike you will need the heavy stuff try the new fireline thats translucent. Good luck
Old 01-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

I use heavy line for heavy fish bigiron but yeah if you have small fish go as light as possible.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is my favorite perch tip-up, and it is home made out of dowels! Here in most lakes we can use 5 tip-ups and I like to set these so that they look like the 5 on a dice. I try to keep them 10 to 15 feet apart because when the perch bite they bite. I also use live bait ( minnows ) on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.