Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 In need of a long rod. >

In need of a long rod.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

In need of a long rod.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:18 AM

Default In need of a long rod.

I am in need of a longer spinning rod.
I am a creek/stream fisherman and the only thing I really fish for is Black Perch(Rockbass), Smallmouth, Channel Cat, and Rainbow Trout.
I want at least an 8ft and maybe even 10-12ft Light or Medium Light ActionSpinning Rod.
What would be some good choices? I prefer to stayunder $100 but I may compromise.
Thanks.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In need of a long rod.

you'd be hard pressed to find many production rods like that. Your best bet is to either build one, or get a custom rod.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

how will a much longer than normal spinning rod help you fishing streams/creeks?? If you are intent on that, I would look at putting a spinning reel on a fly rod. I've seen them used on fairly big water where you needed to throw small stuffA long way.Maybe you're "dappling"??
Old 12-30-2006, 05:04 AM

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

how will a much longer than normal spinning rod help you fishing streams/creeks?? If you are intent on that, I would look at putting a spinning reel on a fly rod. I've seen them used on fairly big water where you needed to throw small stuffA long way.Maybe you're "dappling"??
I need the longer rod to fish both sides from one side...
The main reason is this: I love hunting, my ol'lady loves movies. We both love fishing...I dont like wading in colder weather and she dont much like wading at all, so I need a rod to help me fish the opposite side cover while she covers our side...
The longer the rod the more bait control It has. And that is exactly what I need to utilize my fishing style from the bank.
I have tried the spinning on flyrod method and it aint worth crap...I would be better off duct-tapin' a reel to bamboo pole(which works)

Eagle Claw makes long rods but I dont want a fiberglass one.
Cabelas and Basspro both offer housebrands, but I have no experience with them...guess I will try one or both.

Thanks for replying though...Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The basspro and cabelas brand rods actually arent too bad. I have 11 pro qualifiers matched up with shimano curados, and they are about the lightest $100 new rod you can find.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

check Bn'M poles by sam heaton, they are primaraly crappie rods but i know he builds a light action spinning rod that is 11'-12' and less than 75$ and itsim6 graphite, maybe he can help

http://www.bnmpoles.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_I D=87
Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 AM

I called the closest Bass pro and they said they have a 9ftUgly Stick on shelf.
He said it was a medium action but was "awful whippy at the tip"
also had a couple others in stock that I may like.
It's a long drive but it will probally be worth the trip.

If I am not satisfied with the feel of any of them I will giveBnM a try.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i can only imagine how much a 9' ugly stick weighs. [8D]
Old 12-31-2006, 09:14 PM

You have a good point.
Considering my use, weight will be of utmost importance.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

If you are looking to primarily fish with bait, I would look into a match fishing rod. It's a sectional rod, like the old bamboo rods, but made of modern materials, graphite and fiberglass. Match fishing is a European style that is catching on here in America. My hometown, Elkhart, IN, hosted a world championship tournament a year or two ago and it was really interesting. Essentially, you determine where the fish are at. Then you begin adding sections to your rod until the tip is directly over the area you want to fish. There is no reel, so you have to rig your terminal tackle to the end of the rod, making educated guesses as to where the fish are in the water column. The guy that owns/designs Thill bobbers fishes on this circuit and has designed most of his bobbers to work in this system. I watched some of these guys fish and it was really something. Some guys would hold their rods and add an extra section behind them to counter balance the weight of the fishing section. Others would put out a high-tech version of the old forked stick and use it as a fulcrum to move thir rods into position over the fish. I forgot to mention, as they add sections to these rods, some would get 24-30' long. This system obviously works much better if you are fishing slackwater, such as eddies and backwaters, but can, with enough weight and the right rigging technique, be used in moderate current without much difficulty.

I gotta' get, gonna' go play with my new muzzleloader, but if you are interested I'll try to post links to the appropriate websites a little later in the day.

Quick Reply: In need of a long rod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.