Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Lot's of lessons learned this morning >

Lot's of lessons learned this morning

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Lot's of lessons learned this morning

Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Lot's of lessons learned this morning

Well, I learned alot of lessons this morning. This is the last good weekend before our tournament ends. I remembered a pit off of Saddle Creek in which I hooked a big fish that broke off last year. So far I haven't had any bass break off. My braided stren reel was in my tackle box andI had my 10 pound Trilene reel on. Hey ..I got an 8.2 a few weeks a go on 10 what the heck. Of course the structure was different this time...thick hydrilla. I tied on a Fire and Ice Culpret worm Carolina style. I made a long cast...and felt a thud hit....then it began pulling like a tractor in a tractor pulling contest. I lowered the rod and BINGO..set the.hook. She pulled out like a 396 Chevelle with 350 horse. Snip went the line.
Leaaon 1. NEVER FISH HYDRILLA WITHOUT USING BRAID or HEAVY MONO. BE PREPARED[&:][:@][:@]

I happened to have a new spool of Silver thread in my box. 14 pound test. Right then and there I stripped all 3 of my rods of the 10 pouind Trilene and put it on 1 spinning and 2 baitcasters. I rigged a worm for Texas rigging. The line immediately was doing the kinky twister game. I changed to Carolina rigging and no more twist. WOW...that was nice to know,.
Lesson 2. To advoid twist and kinks go to Carolina

The fish felt it would easily go 12 . Ticks me off. I usually get about 1 serious hawg every year and blow it.

Yeah she took off like a 396 Chevelle [8D]

Old 07-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lot's of lessons learned this morning

Do ya see the island right in back of Aaron's cap. That's the place I got broken off.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

sorry to hear that...that stinks...but its part of fishing.....anyone that fishes much had it happen. i also usually always loose "the big one" once a year. one year it was a TROPHY walleye. this year it was what felt like a monster catfish. live and learn. i had a catfish run me into the same log jam last night that the BIG one broke me off in a couple nights ago. i played him smart and landed my biggest catfish ever. i learned from my mistakes. without learning from the mistakes we will never get better...keep at it...youll land one of them hogs
Old 07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks ..there are occationally bass from 12- 15 caught from here. I see them on the walls of the local barber shops. I always forget about that first hard run a big bass makes. I can play them out decently when they are hooked. I just forget about that sudden jolt of lightening . I'l be back tomorrow.[8D]I'm going to the store right now and picking me up some Power Pro. like Oneshot suggested. I'm still upset about losing that fish. I've been fishing too long to get fooled by Mrs. Bucketmouth.
c7
Old 07-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

man i hate that for you, i hope your not as snake-bit as i am on double digit fish, i know i have had 3 that would easily go over the 10# mark, one the guy with me says he figured was close to 14 on lake sam rayburn[:@][&o], and i figure he would know as he has caught numerous 10+'ers (he guides on lake fork). last thing i'll mention, i know you don't need this cause i can tell your sick from losing big momma, but, always, always, always, check your drag, did i mention you always need to check your drag[:@]
Old 07-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ahhhhchooo power prosry to hear that
Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

[8D]
ah hem ah hem.. 25+ lb mainline for carolina rig, 17 flouro for a leader ah ahem ah hem...

Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Honestly folks..it was like I was fishing with thread. Once she started mazing through the vegetation { Which took 1 second} it was all over.
Yeah...I stopped fishing and redid all my reels LOL
Ut oh wife's home gotta go
Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 PM

Last summer me and girl was fish'n on a river during a hot muggy afternoon. Was not much biteing and she was catchin some bluegill. Well she caught a black perch that was perfect bait size. So I rigged up my 6' 6" medium heavy bait casting rod with abassador reel, 17 lb line. Egg sinker, swivel, leader and circle hook. Throwed that black perch wayyyy out there. 5 min later I glace at the rod and it is bent over like something is caught in the line..... I pick it up and it pulls a bit more.... I say thats enough of that and jerk back setting the hook.My rod bent over double and I was going ut oh what the heck did I just hook into. Felt like I had just set the hook on a MASSIVE log. About that time I felt the fish and glanced up across the river and seen that big flathead roll. Next thing I know my rod bounced back straight and my line went slack. Lesson learned... don't ever set the hook with circle hooks!! Not sure I woulda landed that fish anyway but it sure was fun just try'n to hook it. Got me all excited!

I agree with the others Chuck. I know some times you got to horse them big bass out of heavy cover. however if your fish'n in a place that would allow them to take line then loosen your drag up, especially with 10 lb line.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man I hate that when that happens[:@], I lost a laker once after
bringing it up from 100 feet down. I could only bring it in to one
color and fought it steadily while an airplane kept circling only
to have it cut my leader. But, the biggest lesson I learned was
that it really didn't matter that he got away or not. It was the
fact I could get out and enjoy the great outdoors and relax. If
I was to catch anything that would be a bonus to me. When
you can take a friend and watch there eyes light up when they
catch that big one. All else spending time with family and friends
enjoying the moment of it all.

Quick Reply: Lot's of lessons learned this morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.