Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Dogfish Fishing (pics) >

Dogfish Fishing (pics)

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Dogfish Fishing (pics)

Old 07-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dogfish Fishing (pics)

I don't know the background on these Dogfish. I don't know where they are from or where their range is. I don't know if they are popular to fish, but I LOVE IT. They are great fighters and they are all over in the private lake I live on. They fight so hard and are just a whole different game.

These are average fish about 26-28". There is a big one in there about 30". Pretty fat fish.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Dogfish Fishing (pics)

They are Bowfins

Bowfin. Amia calva. Beaverfish. Blackfish. Choupic. Choupique. Cottonfish. Cypress trout. Dogfish. Grindle. Grinnel. Grinner. Lawyer. Mudfish. Poisson-castor. Scaled ling. Shoepick. Shoepik. Shoepike. Shupik. Speckled Cat.

[align=left]

[/align] One tough fish, many strange names. The bowfin has been around 150,000,000 years. Dinosaurs? He watched 'em disappear. Sabre-tooth Tiger? Yep, she saw 'em come and go. B@$$? A 12-million-year old rookie! Perfectly adapted to his niche, the bowfin is a survivor from the late Jurassic period of the Mesozoic Era.

[/align][/align]
Old 07-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hate em and you cant eat em but they are a good fight
Old 07-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

why can't you eat'em?[:'(]?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

They're fun as heck to catch!!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you will eat a Carp, Sucker, Burbot. You can eat a dogfish, I personally wont.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

sandi they have a weird shped bone down there back alsong with tons of other bones that make them extremely hard to clean
Old 07-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only caught 1 and it was by accident. I went down to Florida a few years ago bass/crappie fishing, and was throwing out a spinner bait. All of a sudden I got a big bite and the fight was on. I thought I had one of those big Florida bass I had heard of, only to be disappointed. Still fun though.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:08 PM

they are a fun fish to catch they will put up 1 heck of a fight. most people hate them though because they eat walleye eggs. not alot of people will eat them because they are supposed to taste bad and also i guess they really stink when they are cooked. i have heard that bears wont even eat them. i have never personally eaten one and likely never will.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never eaten carp. I enjoy canned sucker and I love Burbot. Burbot is actually one of my favorite fish to eat but there isa small trick to cleaning them. When cleaning you shouldn't open the belly....... cube up the meat and boil it in salt water, then fry for a few seconds in a *hot* cast iron w/bacon fat...... dip in garlic butter and its very similar to lobster. yum

Quick Reply: Dogfish Fishing (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.