Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Gone Saltwater fishing tomorrow. >

Gone Saltwater fishing tomorrow.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Gone Saltwater fishing tomorrow.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Gone Saltwater fishing tomorrow.

I'll take pics no matter what. I'm meeting another teacher at 4:45AM. This wil be my first time in the bay. He fishes out of a Kyack... I'm taking my youngest son in our little jon boat. High tide will be at 8:45 AM. I've got my rods ready with leaders and saltwater hooks. He's a pro and is trying to put me on redfish. He fishes here about every weekend. It's a small river that runs into Tampa Bay. He gave me a call and said ,"The Tide will be right tomorrow..let's do it." I said why not. He said our possible fish will be ..
Cobia 1 per person
Red Fish 1 per person
Sea Trout 4 per person
Shark 1 per person
Snook out of season
Flounder I forget.[8D]
Should be fun. This wil be my frirst time with my boat in saltwater. I plan to run it in a freshwater lake as soon asI get home. I'm leaving the trolling motor home.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Gone Saltwater fishing tomorrow.

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

I'll take pics no matter what. I'm meeting another teacher at 4:45AM. This wil be my first time in the bay. He fishes out of a Kyack... I'm taking my youngest son in our little jon boat. High tide will be at 8:45 AM. I've got my rods ready with leaders and saltwater hooks. He's a pro and is trying to put me on redfish. He fishes here about every weekend. It's a small river that runs into Tampa Bay. He gave me a call and said ,"The Tide will be right tomorrow..let's do it." I said why not. He said our possible fish will be ..
Cobia 1 per person
Red Fish 1 per person
Sea Trout 4 per person
Shark 1 per person
Snook out of season
Flounder I forget.[8D]
Should be fun. This wil be my frirst time with my boat in saltwater. I plan to run it in a freshwater lake as soon asI get home. I'm leaving the trolling motor home.
You must be going out to the bay on the Alaphia or Hillborough rivers!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Dominant Buck

You must be going out to the bay on the Alaphia or Hillborough rivers!
Rebel

Actually a little tributarynearthe Alaphia.The Alaphia River is a little too much for my pee wee boat. I'll PM you the name of that tributary .My friend may not want that known.publicly.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW !!!What a trip. I tried 6 times to put this on the Fresh Water site. But when I go there it says I am a guest and I can't post anything if I'm a guest.

Aaron and I got to a little SHALLOW creek about 6.00AM. A friend of mine was guiding me while he was in a Kayak. He said the place was about 1/2 mile LOL ..more like a mile and 1/2 . I paid 8.00 for 2 dozen shrimp and Aaron and I set out for some excitement.

The entire place seemed about 1 1/2 feet deep. I was constantly worrying about tearing up my new outboard. "Finally"...he says, "This is the place...the deepest hole out here at 5 feet deep ." I anchored and Larry showed us how to hook a shrimp . We had three rods out there with bobbers about 3 feet above the bait. Aaron gets a bite. ....rod tears down .POP! line breaks..??? what the heck. I had on a 20 pound leader of spider wire. The fish snapped it like it was thread.I lost 2 more like that ,
I caught 3 lady fish {Trash fish} and 2 saltwater catfish {Trash fish } and Larry told me to fish at the channel before we decide to go home.

My bobber went straight down .This time all 3 rods had a very loose drag. I was tired of retying. "Good grief, how does one get hung up out here", I said. It seemed as my line was hung up on a log. Then...myline started veering to the left. I screamed over to Larry in his Kayak, " I got a big fish on." The fish now had the other 2 rods in a knot. Larry told me to quickly cut the lines of the other poles. I ask Aaron too do it but he was totally confused. I reached over and did it myself. My line is now hot as fire as this fish has been on for 5 minutes. I'm thinkingit will eventually tire out. NOT..LOL The more I fought this fish the stronger he seemed to get. Finally I got him close to see what it was. I was hoping for a huge redfish or snook. LOL Nope...a good sized stingray.
I knelt down to net him whem ZING....there he goes agian stripping line like a bat out of Hello ! !! This time he was hidding for the white stake that tells boaters they are in the channel. He wraps around the pole...and my fun quickly comes to an end.

And that is how my first saltwater flats story goes. I was totally unprepared with too weak of fishing line on. I had 10 pound test with 20 pound spiderwire leader. NOT BIG ENOUGH.

God bless,
Chuck7
PS Funny of the day....Once whileI was busy, I had Aaron watch 2 rods while I was messing with the boat. I looked up .AARON !!! I screamed.Where is the other rod. There it goes...A fish done pulled that baby out of the boat and moved it 50 yards. I paddled quickly after it and finally retrieved it with the lady fish on it.LOL What a trip.