Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

bonless bream

Old 06-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Default bonless bream

is it possible to take the bones out of bream because i love them and jw
Old 06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bonless bream

Yes sir ,

I've filleted real small ones too. Because of my 2 sons and my love for fishing my wife had me fillet them. It's quicker too;

1. Scale bluegill
2. With fish laying on side ...belly to the left. I start the cut from the back of the head { Along teh back bone} toward the tail . You will need a sharp small filleting knife.

3. Then I flip the fish over and this time start with the tail and work toward the head. I like a sharp flimsy small filleting knife for bluegills.

Get close to the rib bones but don't worry about the meat in the ribs too much. When your finished ..your fillet will look like a chicken strip about 1 1/2 inch by about 4 inches long. Rapala makes a nice small filleting knife but if your in a pinch..I've made many from a steak knife on my bench grinder. To do it correctly you will be able to feel the bones as you gently run your SHARP knife along the meat. Takes a little practice but it's rewarding when your family boast of "No bones in the fish." Check this video out. This fellow does a nice job on bluegills.

http://www.nobonesaboutit.com/demobluegill.html