Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Help Me With Fly Fishing...? >

Help Me With Fly Fishing...?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Help Me With Fly Fishing...?

Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help Me With Fly Fishing...?

I would like to try my hand at fly fishing however its not popular around here, no one sells the equipment and ive never met anyone who does it or has tried. Ive seen it done on tv and in magazines so I think with some practice I can do it but the equipments whats I dont understand. There are wierd "weights" and lines and stuff. Im a bass guy I know spinning reels and 12lb spiderline and spinner baits. Im looking to spend under $100 for my rod and reel ive been looking at combos on the bass pro site and I dont wanna spend much because I might not like fly fishing and I dont wanna dump alot of money into an experiment. I dont plan to tackle 10lb bass or anything I wanna try small fish like bream and small bass(less then 2-3lb type fish) and I have hopes of trying a trout somewhere one day again a small trout not one of them big 20lb things. What size rod and reel should I be looking at and what sort of line? Im not sure how that rod weight thing works out and I guess a reels a reel? Thanks, sean
Old 05-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Me With Fly Fishing...?

I would go with a6 weight rod for the type of fish you want.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44537&hvarDept=175&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode= 3&hvarTarget=browse

this looks like it would be a good starter kit for you. If you are going to be going for bass and bream, i would purchase a few poppers. i would get some larger ones for bass, and of course the smaller ones for the bream. Also look into some whooly buggers, and other bass flies. Bass Pro and some other places sell bass flie kits. Most streamers will work to for what you want, but i have alot of luck on the poppers. With poopers and streamers you pretty much cast them out, and strip in the fly line

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=25201&hvarDept=175&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode= 3&hvarTarget=browse

As far as a leader would go.....just take about 3-5 feet of six pound mono (whatever line you use) and tie it on to the end of the fly line.

practice alot without anything to get the cast down. After that put a flie on and lay a target on the ground and practice hitting that target. Flyfishing is alot of fun once you get the hang of it and bring in your first fish.....If you can get ahold of some flyfishing videos to and just watch hwo they cast, and work the flies, you can learn alot from that too

Steve
Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i also like the 8'6'' better than the 9'
Old 05-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

OK I'm not a pro but have gone a few times for bluegill and bass.

Flyline comes in sinking and floating
Get floating if your going ot use poppers.

Also the line is hollow. You can buy these barbed stick pin like things that are about 3/4 of an inch long. They stick into the end of your tapered fishing line.It has an eye at the end.This is where you tie your 6 foot monofilament leader. I use 10 pond trilene.

Most folks do not buy automatic fly reels.Get a regular crank type.

Chuck7
Old 05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

floating line is the besxt like chuck said!

i would go here http://www.championoutfitters.com/and e-mail the guy that you are looking for some starter bass flies for a certain amount of money, and he will hook you up. Good stuff too
Old 05-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

fly-fishing is great but can be overwhelming with all the technical stuff involved. The best thing you can do is get a intro book to learn the basics ("fly-fiishing for dummies"--no insult meant--real book). A five or six weight rod and line should serve you well. (weights go from 1 or 2 (small, smallfish and streams) up to 12 or 14 (blue marlin, tarpon)).

You definately should get floating line to start and DEFINATELY "weight forward" line (as it is the easiest by far to cast). It will run you about $25.00 for the most economical but be worth every penny--I recommend cortland 333 or 444. The reel--you can get the cheapest posssible reel you can find--it won't matter as most of the fish you'll be able to pull in by hand (stripping line) at first anyway. The rod will probably cost at least 50-75.00. for a very cheap model. THE LINE WILL BE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE PUZZLE--DO NOT GET FLAT LINE----GET WEIGHT FORWARD floating.

Practice casting in the yard and tying knots on the couch. If you can become proficient at those two things, it will make the rest a lot easier.

Don't be intimidated by it--it's not that hard once you learn the basics.

I like to compare it to hunting. If regular fishingcan be compared togun-hunting, fly fishing is more like bow hunting---harder to perform and become good at--but more rewarding, imo, when you are successful.

Feel free to ask more questions as you become more informed.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:06 AM

Man I must havetiped for a half hour and then my wireless went out and I lost it all. I have a few things to add but will do so later.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

definently start out with bream and bass on a small pond where its easy to find them.....there youll learn to cast without worrying about mending etc on moving water....and theres not branches and the such to get in the way...just watch your back cast incase theres brush or trees behind you....a 5 or 6weight rod and line is perfect as others have said....i bought a combo at walmart made by pflueger for 40$...rod...reel...line...and a few flies....i would stray away...the rod is terrible....its seriously a tapered wooden dowelrod..and the line is flat...it barely ever floated....and casted like crap....you can get a cheap reel for like 20 bucks...all it does is holds line...occassionally fight fish if you hook something that wants to put up a fight...most fish i can play on the rod and pull them in on the line...just keep it tight and keep tension on the fish.....cortland makes good line fairly cheap as said..i bought cortland Fairplay for like 20$...buy weightforward as said....and dont forget backing...its fairly cheap.....i think 100yd spool will work....tie it on the reel and wind it on....then tie te line and backing together with a good knot..and reel that on....for leaders...id agree that any piece of mono will work for bass and bream..4 or 6lb mono should be fine....only need 8-10foot at a time or so....theres many ways to attach leader to the line....special knots...the metal peg that goes in the line as said....and cortland sells loops...i been using those and love them...tough as can be...its like...braided mono..snake it onto the line and heat a shrinking tube onto the end of it...and it doesnt go anywhere...tie the leader right to the loop...simple..i like them...for flies for bass and bream....poppers and such work good...but my favorite is running wolly buggers and streamers through the water....cast them out a little passed likely spots...let it get down to where the fish should be..and strip it back in by pulling 6 inches of line or so..feel a fish tug back lift the rod and hold the line tight to set the hook.....flyfishing is a blast...but can be very overwhelming....i can catch bass and bream fine......i can cast fine.....but it wasnt till this year i got into troutfishing good....now im addicted....trout fishing is a whole diffrent ball game...you can keep it simple and take a few fish here and there.....but you will soon find yourself studying bugs..trying to find flies to match them....ahhhhh it can be frustrating! lol......then you gota learn to mend line and keep a good drift on moving water....presentation is more important....and figuring out what they are eating can kill you at first lol.....me and a good flyfishermen can fish they SAME nypmhs all day....and i wont catch a fish...meanwhile he will pound them....i can fish them all except nymphs...wolly buggers and san juan worms are still my favorite...speaking of san juan worms...bream should tear them up!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rusty, You have been given some sound advice. The best thing to do here is to take it slow. Do some research, get a good book, video, talk to folks at the Sporting Store etc. You will probably get more info from them, than any other source.

Fly fishing is not rocket science but it is the kinda thing where you'll continue to learn for years to come. Once you catch a fish on your flyrod, you will be "hooked"....

And to each his/her own when it comes to fly fishing equipment. Most everyone suggested floating line, I have never used floating line. I use both sinking line or intermediate line (Cortland 444) on my fly rods. I love using wet flies and when I troll, I use the same fly with different line to determine how deep the trout are.

In the streams, it's a matter of finding out what they like that day. As with using spinning gear, everyone has their favorite lure, technique for catching certain fish. The same applies to fly fishing. You will soon learn what fly works for you most of the time.

Good Luck and Good Fishin'!

Old 05-04-2006, 07:54 AM

I had alot to say but it looks like it got covered. If you are going to be fishing open water and from a boat go with a 9ft, that extra 6in helps keep the line off of the water.5 or 6wt both will do the jub, a 5 will be more fun but a 6 will cast more line and bigger flies in the wind.

I say go with a kit, Cabelas has some that come will everything ya need, and I think even a vidio on casting and fishing. If ya have no one around to show ya I think a vidio will help alot.

Bigest thing is know that it is not that hard.

I guide now and then and these are just some things that I tell people that realy helps them out with casting.

1) Dont throw to much line, keep it short and sweet. People just starting out will try and cast all kinds of line and end up only getting as far out as they would with alot less line.

2) Dont false cast to much, by the time ya let the thing go all the power is gone and ya end up with an ugly cast about 3 ft out.

3) Let the rod do the work, it should be easy.

Quick Reply: Help Me With Fly Fishing...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.