Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Question for Josh???

Old 03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Question for Josh???

Josh...I've talked with our local pros. Our bass have not started spawning yet. The big ones are being caught deep.

Question ..I don't Caroline alot. Can I just simply pull my bullet sinker up about 15" and then peg it to keep it from sliding down.Will that work as a Carolina Rig??
Thanks ..Most are successful withCarolining here.
Chuck7
Old 03-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for Josh???

you CAN..however, for best results, I seem to get more bites from quality fish if the weight and the bait are independant. As in the line can slide through the sinker and therefore the fish wont feel the "resistance". One secret is use is to buy the #3 split rings for 20 for $1 and use those instead of swivels. I actually catch most of my bass with a 3 or 4' leader. I use at LEAST 16 lb leader - I break too many fish off using 12 or 14. Dont be afraid to throw a 10 or 12" plastic on there.. You'd be surprised how many 1 - 2 lbers will bite it and get hooked!

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:34 PM

Hey Chuck, you're both out of my league when it come to fishing..but itsead of peggin' the bullet why not try some very small removable split shot to stop the bullet weight? However, it might not stay in place with a heavier weight hitting against. dunno
Old 03-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just snapped a pic of my carolina rigging set up.

-7' heavy action all star IM10 carolina rig rod
-shimano curado
-stren super braid 12/60
-3/4 or 1oz bullet weight
-#3 o ring
-glass, brass, or plastic bead (optional) I dont use one when I'm throwing huge lizards.
- 4/0 MINIMUM hook for any lure over 8"
- bait of your choice.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks ...last week I clamped a small snap shot in back of my bullet sinker' I hav ehooked some monsters like that.I have real hard time setting the hook on the Carolina rig. Tomorow I'll try flipping to see if they are beddin gyet.Then I'll drift 2 10" worms out there Carolina style.
Thanks for the feedback.
C7
Old 03-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck, personally, I also have trouble hooking fish with the carolina rig. I've found my success increase when I use a heavier leader, and instead of settingthe hook up, I rip the rod in the direction im pulling the bait.. usually to my ride side. I've also found I'm much faster to set the hook when I do this.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:24 AM
Dominant Buck

JOsh...I can also see why you use a 7' rod for Carolining . I've watched the pros on TV set the hook. They all have long rods and set it side ways as you was saying. Plus they all fish from real bass boats. I love the 6' rods but for my Carolina rigs I use 6 1/2 . I was drifting 2 yesterday. Still no signs of beds. I had 3 little hits that quickly let go. But....it won't be long. The word is out they are hitting in Lake B. I'll be there Sat.
Good luck fishing ,
C7
Old 03-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to use a 7 foot heavy rod when carolina rigging.. Also because I normally only carolina rig in deeper water. I use the same type rod in the winter months when using Jig and Pig in deep water. Shallow water, I peg my worm.