Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bobber Stops

Old 01-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Bobber Stops

I've got a silly question.

Folks have tried to explain this to me before but my thick skull can not comprehend. Could some one please explain....

How do I attach a bobber stop on my line and how do they work.??Please explain as you were talking to a 5 year old.Serious.

Reason being. My friend had his bobber at 9 feet the other day and had a hog of a speck on. Needless to say the bobber was jammed because he double clipped it and his 20.00 speck swam away. Our local tackle shop pays 20. bi weekly for the biggest speck caught.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bobber Stops

My son used them he said but forgot how his friend atatched it to the line. Do they pinch on like a small split shot or what??
Thanks

I understand the sliding bobber part just not howthe stopattaches to the string.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:44 AM

Chuck, I fish alot of boober stops this time of year, they are vary simple.

I use Thill bobberes (the ones mad for bobber stops, they have a hole all the way thrw them). The bobber stopes I use are sold every were, Wally world should have them. I dont know the make but all they are is a 2-3in peice of nylon string that has been tied into a nail not. They are then put on a plastic staw type thing. All you do is put your line through the straw and pull the nylon thread off, then you just pull the tag ends tight, I dont go to tight, I like to be able to move the stop if needed. Thne just cut the tag ends off.

This rig works great because it goes threw the eyes of your rod vary nicely. The only truble you may run into is if you use heavy line, some times it dosent go through the bobber all that well.

I did my best, but if ya need more help I can post some pics.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:26 AM

As for the sinker it wold work, but you would not be able to reel it through th eyes of the rod, let alone cast it.

The point of the bobber stop is to let you fish a bobber in deep water and still be able to reel it in and cast it with little reststance from the stop going threw the guides (I dont know why I called themeyes befor, were did that come from)of the rod.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Guss.
I love this forum
Chuck7
I buy some tonight.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Guss,
I got those bobber stops on. I'll be ready for the specks come Sat. I believe if one could figure out the knot he'she could make thies own bobber stops. It seems a few years ago they were made with a rubber band.
Chuck7
I could see in an emergency situation how that would work.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 PM

Chuck, I make those knots all the time, they are just a "nail" knot. Called that because they are made with the help of a nail. Nails work good but I use a big sewing needle, makes it easy to pull the knot back through.

Before all these fancy line conecters, the nail knot was the best way to attach a leader to a fly line. NowI use them to put knock on my bow string.

I have made them before, if I get some time I will try and make some up. All I use is flyline backing,coffee straws, and a needle. I will take picks, and do my best to explane the knot, vary simple.

What is a speck? Is it whatthis yank would call a crappie (I dont know how to spell). Good luck on sat and check back, I mayget to making some of those in the next few days.

I just thought of thisif ya want I could draw up the knot on my paint program and send it to ya, sounds like the easiest way to me.

latter.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

What is a speck? Is it whatthis yank would call a crappie (I dont know how to spell). Good luck on sat and check back, I mayget to making some of those in the next few days.

I just thought of thisif ya want I could draw up the knot on my paint program and send it to ya, sounds like the easiest way to me.

Thanks Guss. I would like that knot. Guss, I am a school teacher with a passion for Science. I believe in calling animals by thier correct names. The southerners have got me calling the Black and White Crappies specks. However; for the record, I'm catching White Crappie.They also call Red-earred Sunfish Shell crackers and bullheads Buttercats.
C7
Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 PM

Not sure if this will work, if it dosent send me a email and i can send it to ya.

My directions are not all that good but they shoud give you an idea on how to get started, it takes alittle bit of practice to see how much lline you need. The biggest thing is to pay attention to the way you wrap and the way the needle is facing.

Nope cant get it to post, sendme a email[email protected].
Old 02-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Guss fo rthe helpful e-mail. I normally fish the same depth where I fish at. If one fished the same depth he could use a little piece of elertrical tape as a bobber stop.as well.After 2 more Sat.s I'll be putting them away and either fishing the bottom for Shell crackers or flipping for bass,
Chuck7

Quick Reply: Bobber Stops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.