Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Ice thickness?

Old 11-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ice thickness?

I have been open water fishing since I was an infant. This year I have finally decided to give ice fishing a try. How thick does the ice have to be for me to go out and fish? I hate the thought of falling through. The lakes around northern illinois are now frozen so my fishing is done till the ice is thick enough. Hopefully soon!
Old 11-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ice thickness?

It depends a lot on the actual weather. If there is one good freeze, I will go out on 6". If there are any days where the temps get above 32 degrees, then I like to wait until its about 10" thick or so. I was on one lake last year where I drilled on hole at 10" thick ice, and then drilled 6 more holes in about a 100' line, and the last one was about 6". The ice was kinda popping, so I didn't go any farther out.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:29 AM

If it is solid blueice (clear, cold & no air bubbles)4" is safe for a single person on foot. If the ice has small air bubblesdouble it to at least 8".
Durring very cold times ice cracking sounds that travel accross the ice are signs of ice expansion due to frezing a generally no problem. Just ensure the crack does not expose open water.

Be very carefull in areas of current. (rivers, narrows ect.)

Black coloured ice indicates melting - Stay Off

If you don't know the area stay to the areas others are using.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the answers. I really appreciate it. I think I am going to stick with my original thought of when I see others on the lake then I will go out!!! Hopefully soon! Can't wait to fish again!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:34 PM

I have fished on ice that was 1in and been safe all day, and went threw ice that was 10in thick. Were I live we get lots of snow so even if it has been cold the snow can keep good ice from forming.

This is what I go by, granted the ice is consistant
3in safe to walk
6in safe for snowmobile
12in safe for Truck

I know some guys that will fish on 3in of slush all day, but not me.

Dont kill you self, ice fishing is not that much fun.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rule of thumb where I'm from,

If the ice is thick enough to walk on,
it's too dern cold to be fishin'.

just kiddin', be safe.
God bless & good fishin'

PK
Old 11-30-2005, 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: JFergus7

I think I am going to stick with my original thought of when I see others on the lake then I will go out!!! Hopefully soon! Can't wait to fish again!
Good idea.

Ps: If the first hole you cut thru is only thru 2" tread lightly - VERY LIGHTLY
Old 12-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I usually start fishing when there if 4-5 inches of ice and dont trust the first people out there because some people will be stupid and go out there when 1-2 inches of ice and then you wonder why you hear of ice fishers falling in.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:26 PM

The DNR usually says 4" for walking
6-7" for Snowmobile or ATV travel
12+" for small vehicles

Many people will go out with 2.5" of ice but I usually wait for the 4" mark. Just remember that there is no such thing as safe ice. A lake can freeze unevenly and lakes with springs can be very dangerous. If you are new to a lake as far as ice fishing goes I would wait for some other people to go out that may know the lake better or else ask at a bait shop if they are aware of any bad spots.

Don't let anyone fool you, ice fishing is a blast!!! Boat control is no longer an issue!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I usually wait until there is at least 3" of clear ice. Because I always fish for bluegills, sunnies and crappies I am in shallow water. Early season I bring a rope, life preserver and a spud bar to test my way out on the ice. We always fish in a group so I feel confidant that we are being careful.

Quick Reply: Ice thickness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.