Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 ultra lite fishing today >

ultra lite fishing today

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

ultra lite fishing today

Old 06-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default ultra lite fishing today

went to a small pond (acre and 1/2) behind the house today for a couple of hours of ultra lite fishing. caught 6 bass (largest one-1 1/2 lb) and 7 of the biggest blue gill bream i've caught in a long time! could barely get my hands around them to remove the hooks. they all hit a small size yellow and black hopper popper-bought over the weekend as a Father's Day present at the new Gander Mountain store that opened in N. Little Rock. i saw several bream working the edges and found a couple of beds where a fly would have torn them up. only the neighbor's grandkids and myself fish this little pond, and i hope it stays that way. heard from the guy i bought my house from that a 5 lb. bass was caught there once. got channel catfish also. tried to buy it so i could make it deeper that the 8 ft. it is now, but no dice. so, i plan to enhance it some with christmas trees staked out in the middle for bream and maybe some old tires weighted down for the catfish. great place to run to if i don't have time to go anywhere else, and as long as you gear for the size of the fish, it's as much fun as anywhere else, and a lot faster to get to (can be on the water in 5 min!).
do any of you fish ultra lite? let me know what you use. have a great day-and tight lines-bill
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 AM

Default RE: ultra lite fishing today

I love fishing with my ultralite for bass and crappie. I tie on a micro tube or even a woolly bugger. Provides hours of entertainment.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like an ultra light set up using 4lb test,1/32 - 1/16 oz lead head jig and curly tail grub in white,chart or bubble gum is my newest big producer for crappie. Caught alot of citation size(1lb) crappie,white and ring perch this year. I use 3-4 other set ups but these curly tail grubs are the biggest producers. I sunk 3 cypress trees 2 yrs ago about 100' out from my dock. They are crappie magnets which draw in bass and large perch.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just started freshwater fishing here in WV. I've had some luck with crappie around 730-830 in the eve on small jigs although the crappie are real small 6-8 inches. How about in the evening after dark. Can you still fish for crappie? how?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ultra lite fishing is really fun... i caught a 3 + # bass on 6 # test ... talk about fun.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find myself using my ultra light Shakespear Ugli Stick and Shakespear spinning real with Berkely Trilene XT four pound test more than anything lately. Especially when I head to the mountains for brookies. Its also fun to catch smallmouth bass on. The setup all depends on what is biting and what I have in my box at the time.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

DannyD--How about in the evening after dark. Can you still fish for crappie? how?

we used to fish all night for crappie by hanging a coleman lanturn on tree limb and fishng around it. it would draw minnows and bait fish to the light, and also bugs that dropped to the water. one lake we fished had a bridge across it and at night, it was lit up from one end to the other. everyone drove concrete nails into the pilings and hung lanterns on them. the state would come thru and remove them, and before they got away good, more were driven in. finally, the state gave up on removing them. seems we had better luck after dark than during the day on that lake.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes I fish ultra light. I use red-worms, panther martins, small rooster tails. I brought home 25LARGE blue gill today. Best bluegill fishing in 20 years. Ran out of bait way to soon. Just fried up 1/2 of them. REAL good stuff
Chuck
Old 06-25-2005, 10:20 PM

I use a shakespear microspin, it works good, i'vecaught two small northerns on it lots of bluegill, and a couple small bass
Old 06-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knife,
The light sounds like a great idea. What was the bait? i use a jig during the day and catch lots. Would the same work at night or do we need live bait?

Quick Reply: ultra lite fishing today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.