Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Spinning Reels

Old 05-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Spinning Reels

I have seeen the bait casters discussed here quite a bit but what do you guys use for spinning reels for Trout, Panfish and Walleyes. Also for Bass and Northern. I have used a lot of different reels but most of my spinning reels are Shamano. I also use some of the better ShakeSpear reels like the Careta. Lately I have been trying the new Mitchels. 300 X and 308X Most of my fishing is for Walleyes and Perch but Northerns are everywhere up here so you better be ready. My reels for this kind of fishing usually hold 100-110 yards of 6 lb test or 150 yards of fireline. I use the hi vis fireline a lot for jig fishing. With this line I usually go with eight lb. For going after Northerns with spinning gear I would use a reel made to hold about 100 yards of 8-10 lb Mono or 14 lb Smoke fireline.
This would also be my Bass set-up for spinning.

I just filled a new Mitchel 308X for a trip to Devils Lake Tuesday. I filled one spool with the new Stren Super Braid 14-4. The other spool I filled with the new Berkley Vanish transition. Can't wait to try it out. The weather is supposed to be 65-70 and partly cloudy. We have not seen the sun for ten days or more. AND COLD.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Spinning Reels

I love spinning reels as well. I am more accurate with them as well.Half of my reels are spinning.I like them for inline spinners { Rooster Tails }.
They must have ball bearings though. I like Shimano reels and ones with high gear ratio. I do have one Shakesphere I got at a yard sale for a dollar. It has nice bearings.The brake was broke but I fixed it. It's on a 6 1/2 foot med.Lightening Rod.I love it. Most of my bass over 5 pounds have been caught on spinning and the Rooster tail. I lost count of the bass. I love catching panfish on ultra light spinning.
Chuck
Old 05-29-2005, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

for trout and panfish i love the quantim. i believe i use the Sx10 with 100 yards of 4 lb test. i paid 20$ at dicks for it.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

We are lucky now adays. There are some really good quality reels out there without spending an arm and leg. I used to be a Diawa man all the way but have not been very happy with their lower priced reels of late. I am sure they still make a quality reel if you want to spend a little more. The Cardnals are pretty good reels as well. I have several that sell for about 30.00.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really love my shimano sedona 1000 for walleye, trout and panfish.....really want to pick up a symmetre or two for bass, pier walleye and steelhead.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I have 2 Syncopates.Very nice reels. NIce smooth balanced reel.
Chuck
Old 05-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been looking for a new spinning reel, and just can't make a choice just yet!
I am being forced to retire my two Garcia Cardinals! I have a 752 and 753, they have served me well, but I can't find parts for them anymore! I still have one old Shakespeare 2000 II that is going strong!
I'm not much on high dollar reels though! Since my reels will be dual purpose, fresh and salt water, I am looking for one with good stainless steel bearings.
I have narrowed my choice to the Shakespeare Tidewater, Diawa, and a Quantum.
I have also found what looks to be a great American made reel. It is made by a company called Red Dot! They are not sold in any stores that I know of, so I am hesitant to buy one without checking it out first! Have any of you used or heard of Red Dot reels before? James, how do you like the Mitchels so far?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Mitchels seem to be pretty good reels for the money. I have been using the first on for two years so far. It performed well. The Shakespear Catera is an excellent reel and was voted by Infisherman to be the reel of the year a few years ago. Some Walmarts sell them as the Axixum or something like that. Anyway its the same reel and has either six or seven Ball bearings. I have a couple Simmetres as well. I like the sedona as well. I still have a 753 and 754. Those were great reels.

I just put new Fireline on a little 101 Cardnal. I have several of those on my jigging rods. They seem like a good reel. Walmart has them for 29.99.