Community
Fishing Gear Besides scouting and collecting sheds we need something to keep us occupied in the off season.

Canoes?

Old 02-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default Canoes?

What are the pros and cons of the different types like alum,plastic,etc.?Should price be a factor?My son says there is a alum 16ft.for $3-350.I seen a add for a Coleman 17ft for 4150.Also how do you all haul em?Thanks.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Nobody got any comments?
Old 02-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

I have only used aluminum canoes so I can not comment on the other types. Of the few different aluminum ones I have used I can tell you some are more stable than others. The one my dad owns and the same one I have used for over 40 years with out issue is a 17 footer. Not sure of the brand. It is very durable, the river we normally float is shallow and rocky. A childhood buddy got a 15 footer that is a touch wider than dads witch makes it a little more stable. It has also been very durable for I would guess close to 30 years now
Old 02-21-2016, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have two Coleman's a 17 footer my first and a 15 footer the second.
I use the 17 footer mostly for fishing and floating the near by rivers. The 15 footer was bought as one that was abvabile when we were planning a week long family float trip in Michigan's UP. Now my kids are all grown and moved away but I still keep the 15 footer around as it is a little hander for taking back to beaver ponds deep in the woods.

I carry mine on a roof rack now days use ratchet straps to tie them down. At first I did not have a cap on my truck so made a rack in the back of the bed and foam blocks to hold the canoe off the roof I used nylon rope to tie it in place. Bad move at 70 MPH the ropes broke and I had a 17 foot canoe dragging behind my truck till I could stop. Just scratches were the results.

Ya my Coleman's are plastic but quite when fishing or hunting from them do not ding from hitting rocks like alum and crack and need patching like fiber glass canoes.

Al
Old 02-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Spike

I use Old Towns........stable and take a beating. 16' or 17' best for overnite trips.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

My brother and I used a Coleman Scanoe (square stern) and it worked very well, was very stable. I think it was 16-17 ft long. Don't know about any other canoes.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have 2 canoes that are use able as well as an old one that needs new gunnels on it. 1 canoe is 14' 7" the other is 17' 4" and both are molded Old Town canoes.. For being comfortable stay away from the molded seats. Molded seats are great but get very uncomfortable if setting in them for long periods of time. Also you need to decide what water you will be using it in if you want a keel on it or not. Rivers and streams no keel is best. While lakes and ponds a keel is highly recommended as it will help cut down on the wind blowing you off side ways and the like. No keel in moving water because it can drag you in different directions when you least want it to. When carrying in them we normally will build a rack out of 2x4s so we can set them up on it.. Always carry a canoe on a vehicle upside down.. If you do not own a truck you can get a kit with sponge blocks and rope to carry it with. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-25-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I have two Coleman's a 17 footer my first and a 15 footer the second.
I use the 17 footer mostly for fishing and floating the near by rivers. The 15 footer was bought as one that was abvabile when we were planning a week long family float trip in Michigan's UP. Now my kids are all grown and moved away but I still keep the 15 footer around as it is a little hander for taking back to beaver ponds deep in the woods.

I carry mine on a roof rack now days use ratchet straps to tie them down. At first I did not have a cap on my truck so made a rack in the back of the bed and foam blocks to hold the canoe off the roof I used nylon rope to tie it in place. Bad move at 70 MPH the ropes broke and I had a 17 foot canoe dragging behind my truck till I could stop. Just scratches were the results.

Ya my Coleman's are plastic but quite when fishing or hunting from them do not ding from hitting rocks like alum and crack and need patching like fiber glass canoes.

Al
Al, have you ever been to Sylvania wilderness near Watersmeet? Great place for a canoe trip with little ones in the summer.

Originally Posted by patchnball
I use Old Towns........stable and take a beating. 16' or 17' best for overnite trips.
Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I have 2 canoes that are use able as well as an old one that needs new gunnels on it. ! canoe is 14' 7" the other is 17' 4" and both are molded Old Town canoes.. For be comfortable stay away from the molded seats. Molded seats are great but get very uncomfortable if setting in them for long periods of time. Also you need to deside what water you will be using it in if you want a keel on it or not. Rivers and streams no keel is best. While lakes and ponds a keel is highly recommended as it will help cut down on the wind blowing you off side ways and the like. No keel in moving water because it cab drag you in different directions when you least want it to. When carrying in them we normally will build a rack out of 2x4s so we can set them up on it.. Always carry a canoe on a vehicle upside down.. If you do not own a truck you can get a kit with sponge blocks and rope to carry it with. I hope this helps answer your questions.
Mines a Old-Towne Guide 16'7". It's a dream on the river and a barge on lakes like Phil said. Also, the seats are not good for long trips. I usually end up kneeling on a life saving pad and paddle that way.

Weight is another thing to consider if your going to portage a lot. Mine weights 75# and is not too bad for two guys. But 35# would be a lot better.