Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy? >

Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?

Old 03-18-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?

I'm picking up a Remington 700 Mountain LSS in 7MM-08 this weekend. I plan to mount a 3-9X40 Burris Fullfield II w/ Ballistic Plex reticle on her. I also plan to have the action glass bedded and will probably replace the trigger with a 1-1/2 lb to 4 lb Timney.

I'm a little concerned with the light weight taper barrel, but with the scope, glass bedding and replacement trigger, I would hope to achieve sum MOA performance out of this rifle / caliber.

Anyone got first hand experience with the Mountian LSS? I was wandering what level of accuracy I can expect from this set up?

firstshot
Old 03-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?

I have a similar set-up Rem. mountain 700 LSS 7mm-08 with A leupold vx-3 3.5/10/40 scope and rifle basix trigger set at 3# my gun will shoot sub-moa with Federal Nosler Partition 140 gr. usually around 5/8--3/4 " groups. I hope this helps chad
Old 03-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Chad

Did you have the action glass bedded?

firstshot
Old 03-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

No after having the trigger changed I did not see a need to bed the stock
Old 03-21-2005, 08:33 AM

I once owned one (a second year production with the smooth bolt knob) in .280rem. It shot 1 1/4" groups straight out of the box with 140gr core-lokts. I was curious what free floating would do so I slid two brass shims under the front receiver ring and turned the factory trigger down to 2 1/2lbs. It then put all three shots into 3/4" on a consistant basis as long as I didn't heat the barrel up so I left it at that. I didn't like the light weight barrel due to heating and poor weight distribution for off hand shooting, so I let it go. Man, was I stupid. Even though my taste have gone to older designs (my current pet is a 1895 Winchester lever in 30-06) I wish I had that one back.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a older blued barrel walnut stock M700 mountain rifle in 308 win, heres a pic of how its shoots with factory remington express 150 grain core lokts at 100 yards.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:03 PM

black warrior.........I would be willing to bet that there are a bunch of us that have one or two rifles we wish we had not let go...

HighDesertWolf.......Thats a great group, especially with factory fodder...good shooting!!!!

Well, I picked up my Mountian LSS yesterday at lunch. Beautiful gun......hope she shoots as good as she looks. Ordered scope, bases & rings today. Should have them by Friday and hope to get her out an shoot a bit this weekend.

Will let you know how it goes.

firstshot
-----------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 03-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will be pleased with it , I think you made a very good choice.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:19 AM

This sounds like it is going to be a pretty nice rig. The caliber is capable of very good accuracy. The skinny barrel on the 700 Mountain Rifle may shoot its tightest groups with fore-end pressure, but they will usually deliver the most consistent grouping if they are free floated. At my gunshop, we generally bed the recoil lug and the first two inches of the barrel - relieving enough wood forward of the recoil lug so that there is a generous amount of clearance around the barrel. After applying the bedding compound and tightening the guard screws; force a small screwdriver or possibly a toothpick in between the fore-end and the barrel at the 6 o'clock position - prying the two apart and putting about 10 pounds of tension between the fore-end and barrel. After the bedding compound dries, remove the shim. This will often give the rifle its best grouping potential and, more important, a consistent point of impact in varying temperature/humidity conditions.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:53 PM

you made a very good choice with the remington 700

Quick Reply: Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.