Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 .17 hmr questions........ >

.17 hmr questions........

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.17 hmr questions........

Old 02-10-2005, 06:44 PM

Default .17 hmr questions........

I'm thinking about buying a Savage .17 hmr. Have some questions:

1. Is this bullet accurate out to 100 to 150 yards?

2.Does it have enough killing power for predators or small game at these distance's?

3. Has anybody experienced anything negative about this caliber? Ex: wound's animals, pelt damage, etc?

ANY information will be helpful!! Thanks........
Old 02-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .17 hmr questions........

1. the 17hmr is accurate out to 200 yards, when there is no wind.
2. the 17hmr is capable of taking yotes out to 100 yards i herd of a 135 yard yote kill but that pushing its killing power.
3. when shooting samll game such as gophers or squirrles it will destroy them. im not talking little damage with the vmax bullet it will blow small gophers in 2 this is why i bought the gun. but if you are using the tnt or xpt bullets they dont fragment like the vmax and they will pass through game without much damage.

heres a site with peoples longest shots with there 17hmrs. look around on that site they have forum just for the 17hmr you will learn lot.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...t=longest+shot
Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 PM

gopher, thanks for the info. That's what I needed to know!! Have you used the 20grain bullet from Federal yet?? It states that it leaves little damage to the pelt. Thanks again.........
Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Ive only put 15 rounds through my gun but i ahve put a few through my cousins and neither of us have used the 20 grs, we have no sue for them we bough these guns so we could do this damage to gophers these are our pest control guns.

hornady and cci have 20gr bullets i havnt seen the federal yet, but i know from reading on the rimfirecentral forum that they do less damage. the 20gr mushoom well and the v-max fragment like crazy. the TNT 17gr hollow point that my cousin has shot just pass through gophers without much damage at all most were able to crawl back down there hole. a big part in choosing your bullet is how well it shooting in your firarm. 17hmr seem really pick about which brand. my marlin will shoot one brand better then the next guys marlin.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:53 AM

Everybody loved it for being fast, now they want heavier bullets, so whats that going to do,slow down the vel. it will shoot accurate with no wind at 200 yds. Like any caliber its got it limitatiions, it would kill a kote at taht distance if it was shot in the right jplace,but that stands true for anything. Try not to make it what it is not1 just really for small critters. Enjoy it for what it was made for,start trying varmits,ect. is not a fair clean kill to them. Thats why they make all kinds of cal. and guns. happy hunting. vangunsmith
Old 02-11-2005, 01:25 PM

The 17hmr Savage is an accurate gun if it isn't miss-fireing. I have had one for 6mos (from brand new) and had nothing but problems. If the temperature is below freezing it will miss-fire more than it shoots. I have tried every brand of ammo out there and they all do it in the gun.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:56 PM

I would like to thank everbody for their input on this subject. I bought the Savage, and when I get some rings and a scope for it, I'll let you know how it performs!! Thanks.........
Old 02-13-2005, 05:55 PM

on the yote comment. i wouldn't take a shot past 75 yards on one unless you have a good head shot. however inside 75 yards a shot behind the shoulder will bring them down but they normally run a short distance.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

.22 mag all the way thats what i say ive shot alot of stuff with mine. tight groups as they do with that 17. blow stuff apart as much as that 17 .. ill stick with the more knock down power
Old 02-15-2005, 09:47 AM

The 17hmr Savage is an accurate gun if it isn't miss-fireing. I have had one for 6mos (from brand new) and had nothing but problems. If the temperature is below freezing it will miss-fire more than it shoots. I have tried every brand of ammo out there and they all do it in the gun.
Better get a new rifle sir. I got a CZ 452 American in the .17HMR. I've fired over 1000 rnds through it from +30C to -30C (i'm in Canada and don't know what it is in Fahrenheit) and have never had a miss fire. The POI might change by an inch or so from one extreme to the next but other than that it shoots fine.

The .17HMR also has more power than the .22mag, and teh V-max's do some nasty splash damage to gophers. I've cut one gopher clean in half.

Here is a very thourough testing on the .17HMR http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

i hope that helps

Quick Reply: .17 hmr questions........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.