HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   best semi auto rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/85331-best-semi-auto-rifle.html)

m.t.hands 01-06-2005 11:48 AM

RE: best semi auto rifle

hey primetime, i've read most of your post and i think your doing the best thing possible get as much info about all types of guns, as far as the auto's go i'm with everybody else on this i was a victim of a remington 742 auto, i have not bought another high powered rifle that is an auto, of the two choices you mentioned the browning is soooooo much more of a rifle, i love my remingtons (bolt action rifles & pump shotguns) but i don't care for any of there auto's, shotgun or rifle. btw as red mentioned you might want to check out the lightweight stalker, the old bar's i looked at were around 8.5#[:@], or you could stick to a bolt gun (sorry not a big auto rifle fan) since its really about the first shot anyway;), best of luck

Hacimsaalk 01-07-2005 09:49 PM

i inherited a remington model 742 woodsmaster in .308 it is a good gun, for plinking, but i cant use it for hunting here

jmfa1957 01-08-2005 01:43 PM

I've had a 742 .30-06 since 1981. It has never jammed on me, but it is not a terribly accurate rifle. Under normal conditions it will give me 2"-3" groups at 100 yards. I've experimented with it some and discovered that it will shoot the first shot to zero, then the bullets wander. If I let the barrel get all the way COLD, not warm or cool but FIRST SHOT COLD, it will put four shots at about an inch at 100 yards.

If you really want a Remington with quick second shot capability, I recommend the 7600 pump over the 7400. The 7600 corrected many of the accuracy problems inherent in the 760; the free floated barrel makes a big difference. The pump is just about as fast as the semi auto is and is a much more accurate rifle.

If you really want the recoil reduction that a semi auto gives you, as well as a reasonably acurate rifle, the BAR is the hands down winner, worth every penny.

jdreddish 01-08-2005 03:27 PM

I have both sitting in the gun locker, a 7400 .30-06 and a BAR 7mm Mag. I like the BAR alot better. If the 7400 had not been my wife's grandfathers I'd trade it in on another gun.

Mike Phillips 01-08-2005 07:45 PM

I have a Browning BAR,and Remington 7400. I got a Benelli R-1 in a 308 winchester last Oct. by far I like the R-1, it is a tack driver ,less recoil,and lighter.

driftrider 01-08-2005 10:29 PM

I have a Browning BAR,and Remington 7400. I got a Benelli R-1 in a 308 winchester last Oct. by far I like the R-1, it is a tack driver ,less recoil,and lighter.
Yeah, if you don't mind the unnecessarily curvy and non-functional Euro-Trash styling. Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder, but that darn thing is just downright UGLY!

Benelli R-1:
[:'(]

Browning BAR Long-Trac:
:)

Not a tough choice, IMO.

Mike

jmfa1957 01-09-2005 11:07 AM

What Driftrider said!

Mike Phillips 01-09-2005 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Yeah, if you don't mind the unnecessarily curvy and non-functional Euro-Trash styling. Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder, but that darn thing is just downright UGLY!

Benelli R-1:
[:'(]

Browning BAR Long-Trac:
:)

Not a tough choice, IMO.

Mike
Wll I take it you don't like the R-1, opinion are like-- well you no what I mean.
I got the R-1 because I could swap out the bbls. To call it euro trash styling ,again is a opinion.

oldelkhunter 01-10-2005 06:14 AM

I wouldn't exactly trash the Benelli...it is a very well innovative rifle and the only hunting semi-auto with interchangeable barrels. I held a long trac this weekend and I think it is a very nice rifle..I am not sure I can get over the polymer trigger guard but other then that it is a nice gun and extremely light for a semi-auto.

Superpig 01-10-2005 07:52 AM

You get what you pay for. Buy the BAR and forget the Remington. In the 20+ years I've been shooting and reloading I've seen one Remington Auto that I thought was good. It's a personal friends auto in 280 Remington. This gun with Remington 150 gr. Core-Lokts shoots a little under an inch. My friend keeps his rifle meticulously clean and has had no jams or failures in the 15 or so years he has had the rifle. On the other hand I've seen a fair numbers of BAR's that grouped well and functioned flawlessly. I've seen a fair number of Remington's that jammed alot and grouped horribly.