Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Gun firing when taken off safety >

Gun firing when taken off safety

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Gun firing when taken off safety

Old 02-05-2005, 07:23 PM

Default RE: Gun firing when taken off safety

First of all if you don't know what your doing just contact remington. they will tell you if they want you to send the gun back to the factory or take it to a authorized service center.
I have a safe full of remington 700's and they all are great guns! period!
I have the same gun as you that my son hunted with for years and i am now getting ready to put a full stock on it for me. it shoots awesome !

All gun manufacturers have problems sooner or later. When i worked for a friend we had a rash of browning buckmarks that wouldnt feed . browning fixed the problem. a couple of ruger m77's we sold wouldnt group at all . ruger fixed the problem.

Now if you decide to take some advice(the nicest response to call it) and cut a perfectly good gun in need of a little attention then PLEASE send it to me! i will be happy to give you an address to send it to and i will take your trash with a smile on my face!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

agreed, absolutely no need to panic with this situation. has this rifle ever been disassembled by anyone? has anyone ever tried to perform any form of trigger adjustment?

You have possibly a couple of issues. 1) the trigger assy has debris in it which is not allowing the trigger to return to a rest position under the sear 2) the sear / firing pin contact area is of issue (damaged). when the bolt is cammed into position when closed the locking lugs pull the bolt forward, the sear and firing pin are in contact and stay as such until the sear falls away. the trigger is holding the sear in the UP position. 3) the sealant on the sear engagement adjustment screw has failed and the screw has rotated inward which is very unlikely.

My bet is on Scenario #1. Remove the action retaining bolts and remove the barrelled action. Get some good gun cleaner such as gun scrubber and give her a good cleaning followed by a very light oiling. you can see how everything is working without the barrelled action in the stock... just dry fire. with the bolt out and safety off you should be able to pull the trigger and the sear should freely push up and down (the silver part in the bolt way). when the trigger is released the sear should still have some spring movement up and down but not a whole lot - nothing as compared to the trigger pulled position. this will also allow you to feel if the trigger assy has anything disrupting it's operation or if it is sticky. there is also a small spring that holds pressure upward on the sear which sits in a counterbore in the trigger.

to remove the trigger assy, bolt retainer and sear is quite simple.. remove two pins and it all comes out.

as far as safeties, Remington changed to the unload / load while on SAFE sometime in the 80's for i have a 1990 700 classic in 25 - 06 Rem that you can operate the bolt while in safe mode. I also have an early 70's late 60's 700 BDL which is just the opposite. If you don't like the new style you CAN purchase a winchester mod 70 stlye true 3 position swing safety. Bolt locked on safe, bolt free on safe and Fire. It replaces the firing pin shroud on the bolt assy. I've seen a couple of different manufacturers and one uses a new sear assembly and another uses the existing Remington pieces. Brownells sells these components.

If you don't feel like tackling this form of a project which honestly is not that difficult with a bit of mechanical aptitude then i suggest taking it to a competent gunsmith. Unless parts need to be replaced you should be good to go for $30 - $40...

and while he is playing with the trigger anyway have him get rid of the creep and lighten up the trigger pull... you can get them to break absolutely crisp like a taco chip at about 2 1/2 lbs. Remington just loves to ship em at 7 lbs with A LOT of sear engagement... CYA and all ya know...

Jamie.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:55 PM

rootsy it's good to see another intelligent remington person around here.

Another option is to check out ebay they always have remington triggers for sell and sometimes at good prices.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:52 AM

If i'm noy mistaken , Remington is going through a big lawsuit as we speak. Seems their was a lad killed out west a little while back when his Moms REM. 700 discharged for no apparent reason while she was mounting her horse. The story was on telivision, 20/20 or 60 min. I would put that rifle up and contact Remington IMMEDITELY if not sooner.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty funny that I have a 60's version 700 with the questionable trigger/safety and it never goes off even if my finger is slightly touching the trigger, I mean I have tried about every way possible to get it to go off and it doesn't. It is supposedly a design flaw which I believe part of but I think maintenace or lack of it brought some problems as well. My gunsmith wants to replace the trigger mechanism with a current 700 and switch to the safety to a 3 pos safety ala ULA and says that will do the trick. Any one want to throw away a 700 throw it my way I am looking for a few to add to the safe either in current condition or donors for some custom rifles I have in mind

If you don't feel like tackling this form of a project which honestly is not that difficult with a bit of mechanical aptitude then i suggest taking it to a competent gunsmith. Unless parts need to be replaced you should be good to go for $30 - $40
Could that possibly be just for labor since the shroud itself is in the 125-150 dollar range?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Terrible stories for sure but two of them are strange. WHat is a person doing pointing a loaded rifle at a part of his body while he is unloading it? The other one where the son was unloading his gun in the backseat of a vehicle ..that is ridiculous.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:12 AM

-
Old 02-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gore I agree on that they are tragedies. I am personally glad they got rid of the ADL and that blind magazine.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:56 PM

-
Old 02-21-2005, 03:47 AM

Go to: www.remington.com
Click on the safety and recall section and input your info.It may be a defective model.

Quick Reply: Gun firing when taken off safety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.