Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 my under the bed home defender >

my under the bed home defender

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

my under the bed home defender

Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: my under the bed home defender

Don't forget that the SEALS and SpecOps teams use FMJ ball ammo, which doesn't expand, so the bigger bore makes a much bigger difference. Using modern, high performance hollowpoint ammo there just isn't that much gap in stopping power between the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP. I personally wouldn't feel undergunned with any of the three, and I believe that it's best to pick the caliber that is most practical to the application and not based on (percieved) stopping power alone. Can you handle a .45 well? Then go with it. If you shoot a 9mm the best, or a 9mm is the largest caliber that you can comfortably conceal, then that's the gun for you.

I think that too many people feel apply the same 'bigger is better, ergo smaller is insufficient" mentality that seems to be sweeping the country regard deer cartridges. The fact of the matter is that there aren't very many people that are going to walk away from a 9mm to the upper chest. And if a 9mm to the chest doesn't stop the guy, then a single .45 probably won't either. People talk a lot about "one-shot stopping power," but I believe the 6th rule of a gunfight, "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is priceless."

Mike
Old 12-23-2004, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cant argue with ya on that note driftrider, a well placed 9mm is better then a poorly placed 45 so in that aspect use what you shoot the best and are most comfortable with. I like my 45's and shoot my 45's very well. i also have a few 9's and a 40 which i shoot well with too just my preference is a 45.

Also a cousin of mine is a retired SEAL I asked him if they only used hard ball ammo in their 45's he said that they used every type of projectile depending on what they were doing and his favorite is Extreme shock's 185gr Tungsten-Nytrilium ammunition.

heres a picture of my choice for casual conceal and carry I can conceal this wearing shorts and a tank top and its a 45 what I like best is its a DAO pistol but still has a manual safety and will operate even without a magazine in it unlike springfields XD series and rugers new P-345.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the wrong picture last post and deleted it, heres the picture I meant to use.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:10 PM

Damn I;m glad I dont have to keep loaded guns around. If i lived in a big city im sure id have ordanance like that to. Nice weaponry
Old 12-24-2004, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

well I dont live in a big city either just like to know its there if i ever do need it, besides the small town i live in is starting to have big city problems since all the mexicans from pheonix are moving in here like ants its not the adults that are the problem its their worthless gang banger kids they bring with them. The drug trafficing rate is through the roof and there has been 3 murders in the last 5 months and in just the last week there were 2 rapes one of them was a gang rape, In the murders and the rapes all the suspects were mexicans between the ages of 16 and 24 and the victims were white. So being white I like having a gun on me incase i need it.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

ahhhhkk my eyes[:@]

Sorry, Ruger makes one of the ugliest guns short of a Hi-Point.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Ruger must be doing something right getting a Miltary Contract for 5000 KP95D's.

Like Driftrider said some absolutely love them and some absolutely don't. I just happen to be one who does Love the Ruger guns. The Ruger P series might not be the most fashionable gun out there but it's does what it was designed to do..

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: johnl

don't mean to preach but don't you think that under the bed is a little unsafe I pray that you don't have any young kids in your house
Guess no ones teaching their kids anything anymore. I grew up around unlocked firearms in the house, we were taught that they weren't toys. Same with the many generations before me, folks had loaded firearms around long, long before locking gun cabinets and safes. Besides, I never could figure out how one was gonna do you anygood all locked up anyway. I guess if a person has kids running around that don't have the sense to leave things alone, a guy could keep a loaded camera on the night stand. That film might do someone some good later on down the line.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger must be doing something right getting a Miltary Contract for 5000 KP95D's.

Its the army who ordered them and their not for combat purposes, The guns were ordered for the US army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command. The only thing I could think of logically would be for side arms for these guys while they are in Iraq, just a cheap piece that would do the trick for a defensive weapon if they had to protect themselves from insurgents in Iraq. You know the army they only buy the highest quality from the lowest bidder..... why buy 5,000 beretta M92's for 600 bucks per pistol when you can buy 5,000 ruger P-95's for under 400 bucks per pistol. Its not like the army is adopting the P-95 to replace their M9 (Beretta M92).
what it come down to is Ruger happened to have a gun good enough for the purpose with the right price. Doesnt mean that rugers are now better then everything else......
Old 12-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Typical Buck

I keep a loaded Kimber .45 in the nightstand, but if time allows it, I'll be reaching under the bed for my old Stevens SXS 12ga sawed-off (20-inches). IMHO, a good scattergun is the best option. Less chance of a bullet going through a wall and hitting someone sleeping in another part of the house. Plus, just the sight of a double-barrel staring an intruder in the face will probably make him wish he was somewhere else. Here's a pic of my old SXS. Its not pretty, but I'd hate to be on the receiving end of it." />
Old 12-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep a loaded Kimber .45 in the nightstand, but if time allows it, I'll be reaching under the bed for my old Stevens SXS 12ga sawed-off (20-inches). IMHO, a good scattergun is the best option. Less chance of a bullet going through a wall and hitting someone sleeping in another part of the house. Plus, just the sight of a double-barrel staring an intruder in the face will probably make him wish he was somewhere else. Here's a pic of my old SXS. Its not pretty, but I'd hate to be on the receiving end of it.[img]

If i were you wouldn't go bragging about a sawed off shotgun even if you saw off a shotgun barrel but dont go below the 18.5 inches it is still illegal according to the BATF. So even sawing off a barrel at 20 inches thats still considered a sawed off and from what I hear that has a pretty hefty jail sentence and fines attached to it. So I hope for your sake you were just kidding about it being sawed off and that the gun is a factory 20 inch barrel.....

Quick Reply: my under the bed home defender

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.