Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

22LR Pistol

Old 12-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22LR Pistol

For the money you can't beat a Ruger MKII.Great little guns.In the higher price range look into a S&W Model 41. Like suggested the High Standard's are very accurate guns.They made several different models.I have a HS "Victor" w/5 1/2"bbl.I haven't fired it in serveral years. I would estimate 10,000 rounds been put through this Victor,it's just as tight as new and still shoots great.For a Single Action revolver the Ruger Single Six is a winner.S&W has some nice "J" & "K"frame models in 22.There are tons of 22's out there. Find one that fits you and make your own decision.Since you're the one shooting it get one that feels right to you.My choice would be the Ruger MKII or the Single Six.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-16-2004, 07:08 PM

I really appreciate all the input from everyone. I guess it's up to me to make the descision[sp] on which pistol to buy. My search starts tomorrow. I'm picking up a new Ruger 10/22 from my dealer and I'm looking forward to looking for a new pistol. I can't wait to shoot the new toys.

Thanks again Randy
Old 12-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

I'm envious. I have a 10/22 and would love a Mark II to go with it. I've also wanted a Ruger Single Six. The only complaint I have on the Mark II and it might have been the 45/22 is that it is a pain in the rear to take apart for cleaning.

I don't think you can go wrong with one of these.

Good luch and have fun.

Spud
Old 12-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Ruger Mark II competition slabside and whenever we are shooting pistols everybody shoots their lsrge pistols a few times then try to steal my little Ruger. It is very accurate and we shoot turtles on the pond behind my buddies house and I can hold my own against them shooting Ruger 10/22's w/ scopes.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a MKII target. It is far more accurate than my ability to shoot it will ever be. The only downside to the MKII is the ergonomics- the grip angle is all wrong making it more difficult to shoot than it needs to be. A better pistol would be a used High Standard. I got to shoot one of these last summer with a 4" barrel- the gun fit me so well, that I shot much better with it the first time I tried it than I could shoot my MKII that I've been shooting for years. A High Standard is now on my wish list.

The single six is a nice gun also.

If you just want a fun plinker, don't overlook the Ruger Bearcat. I bought one of these for my wife for her birthday this year. Its tiny, yet oddlyenough, it fits in my big hands nicely and it shoots real tight groups. Its is an incredibly fun gun to shoot as well.They even have better accuracy potential than the single six as the single six has a bore made for a .22 magnum rather than a .22 LR.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:44 AM

Well guys, my search is over. I opted to go with the Browning Buckmark over the Ruger MII. The Browning felt better in my hand, it also fit the wife's hand better also.

I'm trying to get her into shooting and she is afraid to shoot my Sig P220ST in 45 acp. It's a little too big for her. Once she gets comfortable with the .22, we will look for her a self defense weapon.

On a donwn note my 10/22 didn't make it in for Christmas from my dealer. I found a $50 off coupon for the local sporting goods stores and I think I may try and find one there today. They have about ten stores in the area so hopefully I can find what I am looking for.

I hope everone has a merry Christmas and a happy new year, and I hope you get everything that you asked for, as long as you've been nice of cousre.

p.s. thanks again for all of the input that everyone gave me it was very helpful in making my choice.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

My ruger 22's were very accurate and with a good trigger, but what I did not like about them was the spring on the clip. It was tight enough for 50 rounds. Since i fired quite a bit, I found that obnoxious, personally. Otherwise, my bull barrel worked like a top.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:25 PM

You'll be very pleased with your Browning ,I love my Buck Mark Varmint

Old 12-27-2004, 10:43 PM

Buckmark's are super nice.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My ruger 22's were very accurate and with a good trigger, but what I did not like about them was the spring on the clip.
I found a little magazine loading gizmo at a gunshow awhile back for about $2 that keeps my thumb from getting really sore.